Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warm and Natural vs Warm and White

Hello,

I'm a fairly new quilter and I just finished piecing my first quilt. I used the puppy love charm pack along with some yardage including some white fabric. I had originally bought some warm and natural batting for it, but now I'm concerned about how the white portions of the quilt will look with the batting. Am I being too fussy or should I consider ordering warm and white? Will the warm and natural make the white portions look dingy?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Warm and Natural vs Warm and White

I've always used Warm and White rather than the natural just so I didn't have to worry about that issue when making quilts that had white fabric in them. You could lay your quilt top on the W&N and see if anything shows through or makes the white appear not so white. Other than that I'm not sure what to tell you.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

It depends on the look you are going for. I use both. If I have a quilt with white it in and I want the white to stay really white then I will use the warm and white. If I want to give it an antique look then I will use the warm and natural.
      Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

I don't think you need to be concerned. The natural has a few flecks here and there, but I haven't noticed any see-through. I'd be more concerned at trimming the dark seams and pressing correctly so you don't notice dark fabric showing through the white. I just used the Puppy Love fabric, which is so adorable. I used black cornerstones and noticed some see-through on the white fabric, but it was the fabric, not the batting.

Lately, i just use the Warm & White and don't have to worry.,

Comment

I prefer the "& White" when the quilt has white in it. If you already bought the other stuff you could just save it for your next quilt. I'm sure the "& Natural" will work if you can't or simply don't want to get the "& White" though. I think it is a personal preference more than hard and fast rule.
          Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

I also have a question about the Warm & White/Natural batting, is there a right and wrong side? I thought I had read once there is, but I can't find the link in all my favorites. And for the life of me, I can't remember which side was recommended up. Sound familiar?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vickie1965 View Post
              I also have a question about the Warm & White/Natural batting, is there a right and wrong side? I thought I had read once there is, but I can't find the link in all my favorites. And for the life of me, I can't remember which side was recommended up. Sound familiar?
              Answered my own question with a quick search.
              If the batting has been "needle punched” then it has a right side and a wrong side. Your quilting needle should penetrate the batting on the right side. Load your quilting frame with the batting’s right side facing up. To find the right side of the batting, study the surface carefully. The right side will have more indentations or "dimples” where the manufacturer’s needle-punching machine pressed the fibers together. The wrong side of the batting will typically be rougher, with more small "pills” or balls of batting. It will look like a worn sweater that needs a "shave.” (Warm and Natural batting’s right side is the "dirty side”.)
              sigpic

Comment

I like light or what backing and I use blocks usually that have cream or white in them, so I buy the warm and white always.

Comment

Thank you for all your advice. I think I'm going to order the warm and white to be on the safe side. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X