Rotary cutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotary cutters

How many rotary cutters do you own? What brands? What sizes? Special features?
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Re: Rotary cutters

I own several but the one I use the most is my 'oldie but goodie" I've been using for 30 years or more. It's a 45mm Dritz with a stick handle. The blade comes out when pressure is applied and the blade protector automatically closes after you release pressure. I also have a Fiskar 60mm for cutting multiple layers or thicker fabrics. Then I have a 28mm for cutting circles and I use a 45mm blade for pinking (more like scallops) in my old cutter. None of my cutters have special features but I love them.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Olfa's and I refuse to count lol. I gave all my fiskars away once I used the Olfa. However I would like to try the rotary cutter with guide arm.
      Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

I own about six, I think. One is the small size and the rest are 45mm. My favorite is my ergonomic one from Martelli, and I own four of them alone, I use one and the rest are for future use and my class kit. Got them on a screaming deal and could not pass it up.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I have two of them an Olfa 45mm and a Olfa circle rotary cutter........for cutting circles.
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
            I own several but the one I use the most is my 'oldie but goodie" I've been using for 30 years or more. It's a 45mm Dritz with a stick handle. The blade comes out when pressure is applied and the blade protector automatically closes after you release pressure. I also have a Fiskar 60mm for cutting multiple layers or thicker fabrics. Then I have a 28mm for cutting circles and I use a 45mm blade for pinking (more like scallops) in my old cutter. None of my cutters have special features but I love them.
            Where have I been?!!!
            Barb, I found your statements so intriguing that I had to look up the history of rotary cutters!
            30 years or so?!!!......Well, I'll be!!!! 1979 they came out!
            I thought they were much newer than that.....lots of other interesting tidbits too!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...8BbaKg&cad=rja

You just never know what new things you're going to learn around here!.....and I think I need that Dritz cutter like your favorite!
            ~Kathy~

Comment

I have 4 I can count off the top my head , all olfa. 2 are 45mm one has a squeeze handle that release the blade, the other is reg. one 28mm I use in the circle cutter and a 60mm for multi layers. thats enough since there is only 1 of me.
              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
              Sigmund Freud

Comment

Two older Fiskars 45 mm.

*~* Myrna *~*
                *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I have an Olfa stick cutter that I couldn't find, so I bought a Fiskars cutter like the photo MRoy posted above. I love that cutter. I just found the old Olfa cutter - it was in the bottom of my sewing machine drawer under the button box. I think I'm going to buy a pinking blade and use it for pinking. Oh yeah, both are 45mm.

Comment

I own 2, both Fiskars. One is 60mm and the other is 25mm. The smaller one I can use with either hand.
                    Last edited by Pandabear; January 29, 2014, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks All !!!

I only have one 45mm cutter and was debating getting another. I have one like the picture above but regular handle. The one thing I don't like and it has nothing to do with the cutter and everything to do with me is that it doesn't retract or cover automatically. Not sure if any do. I haven't checked them out but I have a bad habit of putting it down without pressing the button to retract. I was watching Marci Baker cutting and she did it every time and I thought what a great habit, I'm going to do it! Yeah, right.

I think it might be good to at least have one in each size. So I am shopping (love that statement).
                      Hugs,
                      Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                      Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Three Olfas - 28, 45 and 60. I must admit to never having used the 28 and 60 sizes.
                        ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric and then sow it back together again? Really?"

Comment

If you want a cutter that covers the blade "automatically" you need to look for one that's pressure activated. The blade cover retracts when you put pressure on the cutter to begin cutting and goes back in place over the blade when you stop cutting and lift the cutter.
                          Originally posted by soul60s View Post
                          The one thing I don't like and it has nothing to do with the cutter and everything to do with me is that it doesn't retract or cover automatically. Not sure if any do. I haven't checked them out but I have a bad habit of putting it down without pressing the button to retract. I was watching Marci Baker cutting and she did it every time and I thought what a great habit, I'm going to do it! Yeah, right.

I think it might be good to at least have one in each size. So I am shopping (love that statement).
                          *~* Myrna *~*
                          *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

One Olfa 45mm.
                            Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

Martelli and Truecut.

Comment

Working...
                              X