Jefferson County LC and Charm Pack SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jefferson County LC and Charm Pack SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

I ordered a Jefferson County Layer Cake, Charm Pack and some yardage. I just love the colours and tiny designs, BUT, I just can't find the right pattern. I found this image on the internet and would like to do something like this. I'd like each block to be layer cake friendly; maybe the block would use half a blue 10" square and half a red one, so there's no wastage. I've got lots of plain cream cotton for the background.

Surely there must be some designer that has seen the need for a layercake friendly quilt of blocks like this!

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

I wonder if I'll end up making it all up myself!

I live in England and quilting's not so popular here so going into a bookshop or the library to peek at books isn't really an option because there are very few.

Re: Jefferson County LC and Charm Pack SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

I googled layer cake friendly blocks, and this quilt is the closest I found. :/ Not really what you're looking for. Although you could make it with white instead of blue and green background. (Mobile layer cake quilt pattern) Quilt Patterns | SoonerQuilts.com

You could also use the pattern you posted, but only use the squares that will work with layer cake pieces. It would look fine if you have some repeated blocks. Especially if you make them in different prints.

Comment

The 6" blocks for the Underground Railroad Sampler could certainly be done by chopping up layer cakes. It isn't "designed for" layer cakes but it wouldn't be hard to use them.

Here is the bed runner (in progress) my wife and I made using the book. We did it with yardage but there is no reason layer cakes couldn't be used.

Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

Try this site, maybe something you can use. Good luck. The Quilter's Cache - Marcia Hohn's free quilt patterns!
        ​Janet :)

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I've made my mind up. I'm going to cut 2 1/2" off the side of a layercake. Then cut 2 1/2" off the bottom.

I've got two packs of minicharms so I'll sew a minicharm tot he end of each thin strip.

For each block I'll need one 7 1/2" square, 2 short strips and 2 long strips and two minicharms.

I'll post a picture when the first one's done.

Comment

Working...
          X