Help with big star quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with big star quilt

Okay I have finished 9 of my big star blocks and I can't decide what to do next. Has anyone done anything different with sashings or borders than Jenny's tute? I would love to see pictures or have ideas. I have been thinking about a flying geese border but I don't know if that would be too busy. I have seen some online where the sashing makes small stars??
    Attached Files
    Vernona:icon_hi:

Re: Help with big star quilt

I think a flying geese border would be fabulous with these blocks! You have done a beautiful job so far, I love your fabrics... can't wait to see how you finish it

Comment

Looks good so far! I have not made that block yet!
      Happy Quilting!

Comment

Really looking good. I love making those star blocks.
        Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

While I am pretty sure I have yet to see anyone do the Big Star better than the way Jenny did hers, nor can I think I would do it differently. I'm sure you can change it up any way you'd like. LOL. I jus think she pulled it off and good as it's going to get. IMHO.

Comment

They look great! I think an FG border would be great!
            Another idea would be a saw-tooth border, like this;https://www.google.com/search?q=saw-...w=1440&bih=768 ....light and dark HST's
            ...or just do an internet search on quilt borders.....there are lots of ideas out there! Show us when you're done.
            Last edited by bkthomas; January 29, 2014, 01:34 AM.
            ~Kathy~

Comment

I also have made the Big Star quilt, completed entire top only to find out that I can't quilt it on my sewing machine, so had to take it apart and quilt the layers, then put it back together again, wish I had realized this from the beginning it would have saved me alot of time and thread (thinking of taking stock in Coats & Clark thread)..........any suggestions on how to do this the easy way for next quilt?
              1025393_660894050594553_1222107353_o.jpg

Comment

After fighting with a queen size quilt on my singer I decided to get a brother 1500. It has a big throat and does a fast straight stitch. I love it. I have done king and queen size quilts free motion on it. I decided on this machine because it seemed to be a great price. Maybe some day I will get a more expensive one but for now I'm loving my brother.
                Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

In a previous post I asked everyone what was their 'pet hate' about quilting well I'm afraid all mine are coming together in The Big Star quilt (probably what prompted me to ask the question in the first place!) I'm in the UK but managed to order the fabric Jenny used from the USA - good start but from there it's going downhill. The layer cake squares were skewed so the half square triangles were uneven, the bias edges are a pain and I'm having to square off every one. Can't wait to get the top together but then I have to face the borders, the sandwiching (if I can find the space on the floor) and, after professional quilting, the binding. I've promised this quilt to my son in the USA so can't give up on it. So sorry about the rant but sharing with my forum friends has made me feel lots better. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X