So I sorted my scraps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I sorted my scraps

... into three (big) piles: those of at least 2.5" width (typically jelly roll snippets), those that are smaller than that and those that are larger. I have a lot of those tiny scraps! I did throw out some that I realise not even my currently tiniest paper pieced patterns will make use of, but I have loads of bits of about an inch or so.

So - what's your favourite pattern that would make good use of such tiny scraps? I can google, but I'd like to see your favourites.

Thanks in advance!
    ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Re: So I sorted my scraps

Postage Stamp quilt! I so want to do one of these but I sure don't have the time or patients right now.
    Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

I will, one day, make one of those quilts with all the little houses!!!! I love it!
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by GinnyKNC View Post
        Postage Stamp quilt! I so want to do one of these but I sure don't have the time or patients right now.
        I love this one as it has the postage stamp with an Irish chain look
        postage Stamp quilt - Bing Images
        Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

I had a lot of fun making my string quilt. As long as the strip of fabric was at least an inch wide I used it. My strips were all different widths. I just made sure to use a while strip in the center of each block to sort of tie things together.
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

P1012727 little geisha quilt front.jpgP1012728 little geisha quilt close up.jpg
            Here is my Little Geisha quilt. Each square is 3 1/2" cut size and it's a D9P. It's about 34" square. I just couldn't bear to throw away the last bits of geisha fabric.

Comment

Originally posted by Wwena View Post
              ... into three (big) piles: those of at least 2.5" width (typically jelly roll snippets), those that are smaller than that and those that are larger. I have a lot of those tiny scraps! I did throw out some that I realise not even my currently tiniest paper pieced patterns will make use of, but I have loads of bits of about an inch or so.

So - what's your favourite pattern that would make good use of such tiny scraps? I can google, but I'd like to see your favourites.

Thanks in advance!
              I like Bonnie Hunters string quilts . And you can sew all the strips togheter and cut out squares or halfsquares and then make a pattern of your choise. There is plenty you can make with scraps.

Let us know when and what you decide to do

Annika
              sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
              The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
              A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
              And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

I love this quilt. Always wondered what a d9p would look like with smaller blocks. Gonna try this real soon

Comment

I get lost for hours looking through Bonnie Hunter's site: Quiltville's Quips & Snips!! She has lots of great free patterns on her site. She is also doing a live webcam again tonight. She sews and talks to us - answers questions, etc. It is a lot of fun. Never thought that I would like to watch someone else sew, but she also explains her scrap process and upcoming projects.
                  Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

I have a lot of irregular shaped scraps.
                    Just picked up some adding machine paper rolls. I am just going to sew all these little pieces (or not so little) onto the roll of paper and then make crazy strips for a cuddelicious lap throw.
                    Got that tip from a Craftsy class.
                    I can just sew yards and yards of this and cut it to whatever length I need. (might need a glass or 2 of wine for this non-stop sewing session)
                    Sometimes I wake up Grumpy!
                    Other times I just let HIM sleep.

Lynn

Comment

I love crazy quilts. One of my to-do's is making those into throw pillows. One of these days...

Comment

does anyone know what the size of the blocks used in those quilts would be?
                        :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Thanks so much for all the tips!

I'm thinking a postage stamp quilt might be a good idea. I will look at all these ideas before deciding though.
                          ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

I just randomly sewed together my scraps and then cut 6" squares to use.

Comment

For all the little trimmings, I've been making hot pads for the table, roughly 10x10. I layer, from the bottom up, flannel, InsulBright, batting, another flannel and then the itty bitty strings. I need to run at least 3 parallel rows of stitching each way to get most of the loose ends tied down. Then I bind it.

I've started saving my trimmings by project so that it's easier to pull strings when I'm making hot pads. I advise people that they are table top only, not microwavable, not suggested for pulling stuff out of the oven and DEFINITELY not for use by open flame.

They look a little Jackson Pollack, but they're fun and can be made entirely of scraps.
                              sewgrowtableau.blogspot.com
                              @sewgrowtableau

Comment

Working...
                              X