Thread breaks exact spot every time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread breaks exact spot every time?

I am doing pinwheels..the first set went together just right...I am just after doing two more sets and the thread keeps breaking in the same spot....

I tried sewing it from different direction...tried starting needle just before the break spot and going one stitch at a time...the first one of tonight's sets thread broke but I was able to start just before the spot and carried on fine...the second set no,matter what I do it still breaks.
    I am using good gutermann threads....brand new needle...

It is breaking in the center of the pinwheels..about to tear it all up I'm so annoyed I cant figure out what is going wrong..after having one come out right ..one almost right and one completely wrong..:-( ideas??

image.jpg

Cheers
    Julie
    Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress.
    Michelle Burford

Re: Thread breaks exact spot every time?

Have you tried rethreading your machine? Sometimes my upper thread gets tight and breaks. Maybe the stress of a thick seam is contributing?? I just started using a basting stitch in that kind of area and then if my points look good I go back and stitch over. So I stop, change stitch length just before and then change back right after the seam. I don't know if that helps or not.
    Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

I've always had issues with Guttermann thread breaking on me so I stopped using it. Looking at your picture, that is the thickest seam area you have to sew through - maybe just try sewing really slow until you get past that area.

I am really liking your fabrics and I realize I am just seeing the back.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

I would suggest trying a different brand of thread. I have had problems with Gutermann when I tried to FMQ with it.

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
          I am really liking your fabrics and I realize I am just seeing the back.
          Here is the front..I have loads of blocks to make with my funky fabrics..lol..
          image.jpg

Hoping I have it sussed....I think is was a combination of two,things...one the needle was new in and it was loose...so,when it came to the thick bits it wobbled...and I tried pressing that seam open and sewing but the thread broke again....adjusted the tension to 4 and it seemed to,have done the trick....won't know for sure until I get more pieces cut and ready to sew....which will be Wednesday...if I spend Tuesday after work cutting..:-) will update ye if it doesn't work still..lol

I've not had any problems with gutermann thread thus far..I have loads of it so will have to see what happens...what brand is better so if I need a top up I can get good stuff...all the local shops on.y have gutermann in stock...( I'm in Northern Ireland)

Cheers thanks for the help. :-)
          Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress.
          Michelle Burford

Comment

I like your fabric choices.

Whenever I have a thread problem, I rethread the top and the bobbin area. And, clean underneath my bobbin case - I have a drop in bobbin. And if I still have problems I put in a new needle even if the one in there was new. Sometimes there is a problem with a new needle being not quite right.
            Vonnie

Comment

Have to say I LOVE the fabrics, I love funky LOL
              As for the thread breaking, I agree with everyone,, try rethreading. That usually works for me.
              Or could you press the seams open to cut down on the thickness??
              May the road rise up to meet you...
              May the wind be always at your back...
              May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
              Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

To reduce bulk, you might try pressing your HSTs open. See if that helps. I've never used Guttermann thread. I started out using Coats & Clark spools from WM, but now I buy the large cones from my LQS. Have had no problems with breakage. Funky fabric is so fun! Good luck with your project. JCY

Comment

What size needle are you using? I'm wondering if you need one with a larger eye, or at least a larger scarf. If the thread is breaking where the most bulk in the block is, that makes me think there is too much friction on the thread.

Comment

Maybe you have a defective spool of thread. If you've tried reducing tension and re-threading I'd try using a different thread. The fact that it's breaking in the same place sounds like maybe there's something wrong with that spool. Also, a change in needle will sometimes solve the problem.
                    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

At this point, I'd stop working on the quilt and use some scrap fabric until the problem is resolved. That way you won't be tearing out a bunch of stitches while you're trying to work out the problem.
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I'd suggest a larger needle also. I love Gutermann thread, never a breakage problem.
                        See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                        X