Thrift shop find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thrift shop find

A new, never washed, queen size Egyptian cotton sheet...white. So for $3 I brought it home thinking of the beautiful white yardage I would get out of it ! Now am having second thoughts..is it too "dense", or tightly woven....you know what I mean!...to be practical for sewing ? Or quilting ? Should I just put it on my bed ?! Wondering if anyone had used this type fabric...how it sews? ...any info would be appreciated before I start cutting !!
    :icon_wave: Lynn

Re: Thrift shop find

I used a sheet for backing and it worked fine, haven't tried to use one for piecing. Good luck.
    Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

I've used them for backing many times. They have always worked great for me!

Comment

I've used sheets for backing and for piecing the bubble quilt (the pieces you never see, because they are on the inside). Sheets can vary soooo much and I remember this question being asked of our Jenny in a live feed at one time and she said bascially to just go ahead, if it's a good quality sheet (I'm paraphrasing here, I don't remember her exact words). I think bad quality sheets were more common back in the day so they got sort of a bad reputation for quilting. Some of our really cheap sheets I wouldn't even use for backing and certainly not to sleep on!

If it's really, really dense, you might pair it with other dense fabric, such as batiks? I wouldn't sweat having a denser back than front though, for example.
        ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

Give it to me! I'd love to have it to dye.
          Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

My maternal grandmother always used sheets for backing fabric.

My Aunt on my Dad's side always used sheets for foundation piecing. We would cut squares out of the sheet and just start sewing the good pieces of used clothing to make a very scrappy quilt.

I think you are the only one who can determine what to use it for since you can see it and feel it. And remember, it's your quilt, what you put into it is your choice.
            Vonnie

Comment

I've used sheeting for backs and fronts. It depends if it matches the weight of the other fabric you're using.

Comment

I've used sheets for quilting before too. My experience is they work just fine, but they are a bear to hand quilt. If you're machine quilting it shouldn't be a problem.
                May the road rise up to meet you...
                May the wind be always at your back...
                May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                X