• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annie Pearl
    replied
    Re: Thread

Originally posted by stationarymom View Post
    i took a quilt class for a while the instructor there explained to us that if you are piecing cotton mat. it's best to piece with cotton because otherwise the thread may be stronger than the fabric.if you're using a cotton poly blond the thread can also be. i just go by that.
    I use Mettler or Guetterman(sp) in 40 or 50 wt. It doesn't seem to produce anymore lint than usual. I don't use Coats and Clark because my shop only has the cotton/poly blend. I was told long ago that the poly in the thread can cut the cotton fibers in the fabric. My machine is a Husqvarna Viking Interlude 445.

Leave a comment:

• stationarymom
    replied

i took a quilt class for a while the instructor there explained to us that if you are piecing cotton mat. it's best to piece with cotton because otherwise the thread may be stronger than the fabric.if you're using a cotton poly blond the thread can also be. i just go by that.

Leave a comment:

• Fabricadabra
    replied

I used lots of different brands......I like the color choices from connecting threads and I don't have a problem with lint in my Berninna
    Also like Gutterman (sp?) looks like I'm going to have to give aurifil a try now too...

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Two of my shops carry Gutermann.,so I have been using that. I think they over charge though. Another shop carries Coats and Clark. I looked at all three to find cotton thread (for some free standing lace) and could only find one small spool. It's like it was a foreign question to them.

I'm ready to start ordering online. I'm glad this topic came up

Leave a comment:

• Karena1984
    replied

I mainly use the ones from connecting threads. I never have any breakage or anymore lint than usual. I bought more pricy thread before but why spend the money if the cheaper stuff works great! Lol I have a janome machine btw

Leave a comment:

• Peggi
    replied

It's subjective. Depends on what your goal is. I have a friend whose goal is "affordable" - she prefers Connecting Threads "Essentials" (I think that's what it's called) because it's inexpensive. I make a lot of miniature quilts and quilts with very small pieces, so my goal is hyper-accurate piecing. I prefer Superior's Bottom Line, both upper and bobbin thread, because it's very fine and helps minimize my seams.

Leave a comment:

• K. McEuen
    replied

Originally posted by Penzole View Post
    Can someone tell me the BEST thread to do for piecing?

The best thread to use is the one that works best in your machine. Some machines like one brand more than others.

Leave a comment:

• asta
    replied

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
    It is so very true, everyone has their favorite. I have been using Aurifil and I really like it. I have a Babylock machine and I have no troubles with it. The bobbins last really long as the thread is thin and the bobbin holds a lot. My spool is lasting a very long time as well.

I have tried others, and they are ok for the most part. But, Aurifil has been my favorite.
    I agree, I have BabyLock machines and they seem to love this stuff.

Leave a comment:

• a1angiem
    replied

Aurifil's my fave!

Leave a comment:

• Amarillo19
    replied

My Bernina dealer says Aurifil is the best. I use it and like it a lot. It produces less lint than most of the others.

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

I am a thread snob. I always use Aurifil on the top and Bottomline from Superior on the bobbin. People complain about the cost of the Aurifil, but if you look at how much a spool holds, and figure what you are paying for another brand, I think you would be surprised.

Leave a comment:

• Kgrammiecaz
    replied

It is so very true, everyone has their favorite. I have been using Aurifil and I really like it. I have a Babylock machine and I have no troubles with it. The bobbins last really long as the thread is thin and the bobbin holds a lot. My spool is lasting a very long time as well.

I have tried others, and they are ok for the most part. But, Aurifil has been my favorite.

Leave a comment:

• vchale
    replied

I don't think there is. Everyone seems to have their favorite. Some machines don't like certain kinds. Some threads have more lint than others but are cheaper so some will use them anyway. I haven't developed a favorite yet. I don't want to spend too much but I use 100% cotton and I like 40 or 50 weight. The prices seem to be all over the place. I have used the star thread from MSQC and it seems to be a good compromise between price and quality.

Leave a comment:

• Penzole
    started a topic Thread

Thread

Can someone tell me the BEST thread to do for piecing?
Working...
X