Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half square Triangle..... Need help with a size please

Hello ladies and gents,

I have watched Jenny make half square triangles (HST) with sewing 1/4" around the square and then cut from corner to corner.

I'm trying to get 2.5 or two and a half inch HST when I'm done. I started out with a 5 inch square and that gave me 3.5 or three and a half inch HST.

I cut the next one down to 4.5 inch square that gave me 3 inch half square triangle.

So I don't mess up any more of the fabric should I go to 4 inch squares? I seems strange I can get 3 inch HST with only 4 and 1/2 inch square.

Thanks for your help. It's funny how your brain doesn't work some days.
    Ginger snaps :icon_wave:

Re: Half square Triangle..... Need help with a size please

I don't know for sure, but don't throw away those "mess up" ones you already did - just square them up to a finished 2.5" block.

I always make my HST blocks bigger so I have room to square up anyway.

Comment

measure the diagonal on your 2 1/2" HST and that should be the size square you need. I would make it a little 1/4" bigger to allow for trimming.
      Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Originally posted by Doloris View Post
        measure the diagonal on your 2 1/2" HST and that should be the size square you need. I would make it a little 1/4" bigger to allow for trimming.
        I will try that, thanks Doloris

Comment

Originally posted by Squeaky View Post
          I don't know for sure, but don't throw away those "mess up" ones you already did - just square them up to a finished 2.5" block.

I always make my HST blocks bigger so I have room to square up anyway.
          Thanks Squeaky, I won't I did use different fabric to make them but it's good fabric so I'm sure I'll find another place to them.

Comment

This might be a handy chart......if you can see it !.........it worked !
            Attached Files
            :icon_wave: Lynn

Comment

I always cut my squares 1" bigger than what I want my HST to end up. The rule of thumb is to add 7/8" but that extra 1/8" isn't enough for me to worry about. After making the HST squares, cutting them apart and pressing them, I just trim them to make sure they are square.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

Thanks Auntpiggylpn But I'm trying to make 4 at a time like Jenny does on one of her Tutorials that I can't find. . I do the same thing but I'm trying to do them a little faster. I better change the way I'm asking maybe it will make better sense. I don't know how to go back anymore and change my first post.

Originally posted by Auntpiggylpn View Post
                I always cut my squares 1" bigger than what I want my HST to end up. The rule of thumb is to add 7/8" but that extra 1/8" isn't enough for me to worry about. After making the HST squares, cutting them apart and pressing them, I just trim them to make sure they are square.
                Last edited by ILove2quilt; January 26, 2014, 07:23 PM.

Comment

I make my HST's oversized, too.... Then I square them up... That way, I am sure to get the size I want.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I have also been trying to make half square triangles using the method where the square is sewn on the edges and cut on the diagonals. I needed a 2 1/2" half square triangle. After trying several different square sizes, I found a 4" square will work. After measuring the half square triangle, it was a hair shy of 2 1/2". I think I will cut my squares a little bigger than 4" and then cut the extra off.

Comment

I don't know about her way, but I just make them singlely....an HST is 1 inch bigger than the cut size you want...for instance...if you want a finished (in the block done) HST to be 3 x 3 inches... you cut 2, 4x4 inch inch squares...and with right sides together, you draw the line down the middle, sew on each side and cut on the line. Now you have 2, 3,1/2 x 3,1/2 inch HSTs and when you sew them into the block they will be 3x3. Think of it this way...you need 1/2 inch seam allowance for anything you make, but for every additional seam, you need another 1/2 inch.
                      Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Amy broke it down and put in her notes

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/usernote.php?u=25623
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thank you Shiny Thimble, that's what I was looking for so I'll do a little over 4 inches. Thanks again.
                          Originally posted by c3saving View Post
                          I have also been trying to make half square triangles using the method where the square is sewn on the edges and cut on the diagonals. I needed a 2 1/2" half square triangle. After trying several different square sizes, I found a 4" square will work. After measuring the half square triangle, it was a hair shy of 2 1/2". I think I will cut my squares a little bigger than 4" and then cut the extra off.

Comment

Working...
                          X