FMQ question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMQ question

I dearly love my LQS, and I take all my quilts there to be quilted. However, I am becoming very impatient with the 3+ month wait to get my quilts back. The throw size and twin size I can probably do on my sewing machine, but I need a simple pattern. Most of my endeavors look like I scribbled with thread. I'm not a big fan of Leah Day; I did try. Would someone recommend a simple quilting pattern I could try that would look nice and not leave my quilt with the texture of cardboard?

Re: FMQ question

Stippling or loops. Practice first on scrap sandwiches.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I taught myself to quilt and have been quilting only 6 years. When I first started I used templates and marked them with a Pounce pad that you put powdered chalk in. This gave me a pattern to follow, and when finished quilting the chalk just brushed off.

Comment

The easiest to do and looks great is a large meander, or big loops. You have to remember, that the denser the quilting, the stiffer the quilt. If you do the larger meander, and loops, your quilt will still maintain it's soft quality. Those are also easy to learn on your own.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

Ginkgo leaves, simple leaf shapes, 'e' in a linked way If you google you can get lots of ideas of simple shapes. The main thing is to sketch them on paper etc first - lots of times. Think of learning to write your name, you had to practice, if you sketch the shoes out lots of times then you will be able to "draw" them on your machine. Do you have a quilt shop anywhere locally that gives lessons in FMQ?

Comment

Full Line Stencils

Someone posted this link a while ago and I bookmarked it. They have some great stencils if you might find following a pattern easier while you are learning. There are so many I'd like to order just because they are so nice.
            K is for Karen 😊​..................
            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

I taught myself fmq, I'm not great but I am pleased. I have spent quite a bit of time drawing on paper and practicing on quilt sandwiches. The first one I tried I ended up ripping it out a quarter of the way through because it was too tight. It doesn't always look perfect on the back but I like the idea of doing the whole process myself.
              Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Working...
              X