Brother walking foot jumping, thumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brother walking foot jumping, thumping

I have a Brother NX650Q sewing machine. I'm overall very happy with it. I recently started quilting and decided to use my walking foot. I was almost finished the straight lines before I move onto FMQ, when the foot started jumping. It was very upsetting as it would jump out of the ditch when it slammed back down. After further investigation, took it apart and flipped a pin around (seemed to be worn) put it back together and tried it out. It worked for a short time and started the jumping again. I then brought it to my husband, (he can fix anything) he took it apart and showed me a part that was worn out. See picture. SAM_6930.jpg I can understand things wearing, like it maybe I had been using it for 5 years or so. But not for one quilt. I'm pretty sure it's a design flaw. I've ordered a different kind and hoping it will work. After researching, seems like it's a problem with Brother and Babylock owners.

Just previewed my post and you can't see in the picture really well. But there is a tiny washer that is almost worn in half. The part you are looking at is the fork thingy.
    sigpic

Re: Brother walking foot jumping, thumping

I gave a Brother 450Q and haven't seen that problem. I do have an issue with the screw that hold the foot on coming loose though. If you haven't had the machine that long, maybe you could call the company and get a free replacement?

When I attempt to FMQ I use the quilting (darning) foot. I didn't know you could use the walking foot.

Comment

How about making Brother aware of this. I'd say it's a design flaw and they should replace your foot. At the very least it might help them correct the problem.

Comment

Oops, I guess I worded that wrong. I don't use the walking foot for FMQ. I had only used the walking foot to secure the 3 layers together, straight stitching. Sorry for the confusion.

I will be contacting Brother tomorrow. I'm hoping they will send a replacement, we'll see since I didn't purchase the machine from an authorized dealer, they tend to not want to help.
        Last edited by Vickie1965; January 26th, 2014, 11:16 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

So am I to understand you used a darning or FMQ foot for free motion quilting. The part I am seeing goes to the walking foot, right? If you were trying to move your quilt in different directions while the walking foot was on and feed dogs engaged, you probably broke it. They are not made for that. If I have misunderstood please tell me.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vickie1965 View Post
            I was almost finished the straight lines before I move onto FMQ, when the foot started jumping.
            I read it as she was working on straight lines, not doing FMQing with her walking foot.

You can NOT use a walking foot for FMQing, it just doesn't work that way.

I would contact the company, the washer might have just been a faulty part.
            K is for Karen 😊​..................
            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

The part in the picture you are looking at is the connecting fork that hooks onto the needle clamp screw, (taken apart from the walking foot) to show the washer that has been damaged from the slamming. I only use the walking foot for straight line sewing (no back stitching) in order to anchor the 3 layers together. Then I move onto FMQ with my open toe quilting foot.
              sigpic

Comment

I have this problem with my babylock too, I just assumed it was user error! I have been meaning to take my machine into my store to have them help me with the walking foot but haven't had a chance to do it yet.
                ---Susan---

"When life gives you scraps - make a quilt!"

Comment

Hi slamb13,

I had first thought it must be user error myself, since I'm fairly new to all this. But when one of the ladies in my quilt group (she has the same machine as mine, only hers is a babylock) said hers does the same, and she couldn't figure out why. I then knew it wasn't me. I tried the whole, walk away, rethread top and bottom and new needle, lengthen stiches, the whole 9 yards.

If you are holding your walking foot in your hand, and move the connecting fork up and down, is it sloppy from side to side? I find when I hold it and put a little pressure on the fork to the right, doesn't hang up. The hubby said it appears to have needed oil. I have ordered myself a couple more, hoping they will work. You'll have a better chance of getting a new one I would think. I'm assuming you bought yours from an authorized dealer. Good luck to you!
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes I bought mine from the dealer and they have free help for your machine & any questions. So I am going to call about getting help using my walking foot and take it in and let them try it. If it jumps & thumps for them as it does for me, I'm sure they will replace it.

I have gotten some advice here in the past that does help reduce the bump/thump (slowing down my speed, lengthening stitch length and using my ironing board to hold the weight of the quilt) but even doing that it still does do some bumping and skipping stitches.

It's my own fault that I haven't taken it into the dealer sooner, just haven't had time to get over there!
                    ---Susan---

"When life gives you scraps - make a quilt!"

Comment

Hi Susan,

Keep me posted. I'm sure they will replace it for you.
                      sigpic

Comment

My walking foot jumped when I first got it, put some 3 in 1 oil in the areas that moved, manually worked it back/forth for a bit and ran it over some scraps to remove any excess oil. Haven't had a problem since. Would be worth a try. I have a Brother PC450

Comment

Working...
                        X