Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some suggestions on finishing a patchwork quilt and turning it into a duvet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinkerbellcaligirl
    replied
    Re: Need some suggestions on finishing a patchwork quilt and turning it into a duvet

No I was going to leave that alone. I thought just having the top stitched

Leave a comment:

• Tinkerbellcaligirl
    replied
    Re: Need some suggestions on finishing a patchwork quilt and turning it into a duvet

Thanks for the suggestions. I am really torn now as to make it into a duvet. She really likes the down inserts and she likes weight on her to sleep. This is the quilt I am doing.
    full_6760_73556_TreasureHuntQuilt_1.jpg
    The colors are very wild and I kind of thought the stitching would also blend everything better. So if I am understanding right, not alot of people have been happy with adding a stitched quilt top into a duvet?

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

I'll address the closure I have done a couple of covers (just with fabric) One I used ties and it made it look really feminine and pretty. The other I used buttons, so that's more tailored. I think the only other way is a zipper or Velcro.

Is the quilt going to be on both sides?

Leave a comment:

• K. McEuen
    replied

Also, instead of a batting you could always have it quilted with a flannel for the batting. This would provide even more stability for the top, along with the backing fabric. I think the 5% is a good number to go with on the shrinkage. If you do decide to use flannel, prewash it before you use it as it shrinks at a different rate than regular cotton fabrics.

Leave a comment:

• Quiltfreestyle
    replied

If it really has to be a duvet cover, quilting it with a back but no batting just might work. I would think it would keep the shifting to a minimum, but not add too much bulk.
    Please post a picture of your final solution. I'd be interested to see what works.

Leave a comment:

• Sheena
    replied

I allow 5% shrinkage for cotton and wash it before I use it.

Do you have to make it into a duvet cover? I did this once and wasn't happy with the results. I didn't back it. It always looked unfinished.

Leave a comment:

• Sheena
    replied

Is it this one?

Leave a comment:

• Need some suggestions on finishing a patchwork quilt and turning it into a duvet

Happy Sunday to all!

I came up with the idea to make my daughter a duvet cover using Tula Pink's new line Acacia. So I bought a quilt kit from Craftsy and love the pattern..but I am turning it into a duvet top. It has large triangles on the bias. So, as I am making this, I am thinking about the shifting of the quilt top once it is the down insert. There are alot of seams on this top, and she likes to sit on her bed. (more possible shifting) Anyways, I am thinking about having the whole top longarmed to help with this problem. But I dont know if I want to use a batting or not (if thats even possible for the long arm machine to do) Then I have to deal with the shrinkage situation! (no matter what, since these were FQ's)

Does anyone know what the shrinkage % would be using all cotton? I am going to be adding a large border to make up the difference on the quilt top for the 90 x 90 insert.

Any ideas would be soooo helpful! I always do this to myself!! Ideas pop into my head and I dont think out all the details, untill I get to the spot I am now.

Also any great ideas for the closure would be wonderful too
Working...
X