Faux Sashing, The Follow Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faux Sashing, The Follow Up

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question seeking advice from the wisdom on this board. My problem was that the 12 blocks I'd done in an old Asian-themed BOM were different sizes. My idea was to put black borders around the blocks, then see those together to create faux sashing.

The overall consensus was that there'd be problems, but I started down that path anyway. I should have listened.
    The problem is that the black between the blocks is twice as wide as the sashing on the outside. Oops. I'm trying for some work arounds; the blocks aren't sewn together yet.

Any suggestions?
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Re: Faux Sashing, The Follow Up

Pictures?
    Someone mentioned in the last post that would happen! So hard to visualize though!
    Happy Quilting!

Comment

Could you add another layer of sashing in a different color? It's hard to know if that would work without seeing the quilt colors.

Comment

Do you have enough black to put extra around the outside?
        ~Kathy~

Comment

is there anyway you can only put sashing around every other block? This way the sashing isn't as wide. I hope that made sense. It does in my head.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Here's a picture when I had three sides of sashing on the blocks. If you look at the sashing between the "columns," you'll see that it's twice as wide as the sashing on the sides or the top.
            AsianBOM3.jpg

At this point, the "faux sashing" is on all four sides of each block. I believe I now have two choices. Either I trim the "between column sashings" to half their current size (adding 1/4" for seams), or else I add a black border around everything, thereby making everything look like really wide sashing. I'm leaning towards the black border, as I quite like the wide sashing. I think it also helps to disguise the fact that the blocks aren't quite the same size.

I'd love your opinions, too! Please let me know what you think.

Comment

Hi Toni, what about using the wider rows of sashing to feature a pretty machine quilting design. A bamboo design would be pretty with the Asian fabrics. I saw an Asian theme quilt at a quilt show last year. The quilting design was pieces of bamboo stalks on the borders and it was gorgeous.

Whatever you decide to do........it will be pretty. My favorite block is the one with the writing on it.
              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Pam, that is a really interesting idea. Leave the wider areas and make them a feature. (We old computer programmers had a saying, "It's a feature, not a bug." It got us out of a lot of customer complaints.)

BTW I really love your signature. Who are Leonard and Sheldon?

Comment

Working...
                X