Irish chain, single or double?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish chain, single or double?

I just finished a project and am now looking to do another. The other day purchased the fusion meadow jelly roll when it was the DD. I think it would look nice as an Irish chain. Looking at other quilts out there, I can't decide which I like better the single or the double.

Which do you prefer?

Re: Irish chain, single or double?

Either one will be stunning! I love the Irish chain pattern - I have it on my to do list.
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Is there a tutorial to put together the double irish chain? I have a quilt done by my grandmother, I just acquired the quilt from my cousin. Grandma did a double irish chain, but she put each small color block in it by hand and there is not actual big block that I can see. I would like to try the double irish chain, and am trying to figure out in my head how to strip piece it.

Comment

Here is a web page that shows all 3 - single, double and triple Irish chains.

Irish Chain

I think these are going to have to move up on my list!
        Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

haha! I signed up for the new Amy Gibson Craftsy class on the Irish Chain!!! She shows a bunch of different ones and provides patterns, plus tells you how to design your own! I've never done one but am excited to try and I think it will be great for using up scraps.
          Over the Kitchen Counter: Angie's Place for Cooking and Crafts: The Twisted Irish Chain Craftsy Class

Comment

Originally posted by ilive2craft2 View Post

Irish Chain

Nice link. Lisa. Thanks for the share!
            I really need to get off the exclamation point.
            It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

My favorite is the double, but they're all pretty.

Comment

I love them all! It is still my favorite pattern. I've made a few and still haven't gotten to mine
                I think the fabric tells you which to make. Sometimes the fabric is too busy (for my taste) to be anything but a single. It needs that solid space to break it up. With the fusion meadow I don't think you could wrong with a single, double or triple.
                I can't wait to see what you pick
                Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

Originally posted by a1angiem View Post
                  haha! I signed up for the new Amy Gibson Craftsy class on the Irish Chain!!! She shows a bunch of different ones and provides patterns, plus tells you how to design your own! I've never done one but am excited to try and I think it will be great for using up scraps.
                  Over the Kitchen Counter: Angie's Place for Cooking and Crafts: The Twisted Irish Chain Craftsy Class

Wow the Crafty Class has beautiful designs. Please show yes your finished quilt.
                  My favorite has always been the single irish chain.....it is on my To Do List
                  Shelley

Comment

I don't think you could go wrong with either, but my vote would probably be the double. I know there's a tut for the single, but am not sure about the double. Lots of patterns on line though.

Comment

Originally posted by ilive2craft2 View Post

Irish Chain

thanks for the link!!
                      Mary
                      SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Of course the first and only Irish Chain that I made was a triple ...

K is for Karen 😊​..................
                        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                        T - is it TRUE?
                        H - is it HELPFUL?
                        I - is it INSPIRING?
                        N - is it NECESSARY?
                        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Jean, I took a class last fall and have the instructions. I will make a copy and get them in the mail to you.

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                          Is there a tutorial to put together the double irish chain? I have a quilt done by my grandmother, I just acquired the quilt from my cousin. Grandma did a double irish chain, but she put each small color block in it by hand and there is not actual big block that I can see. I would like to try the double irish chain, and am trying to figure out in my head how to strip piece it.
                          Robin
                          My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

I didn't know there was a triple. Holy cow Karen that's beautiful.

Thanks for all the links, I have some exploring to do. Now I *really* don't know which to choose.

Comment

I love the single chain quilt behind Jenny in her tutorial and that's on my wish list. I'm a beginner though and thought I could handle it after looking at the tutorial. In looking at the page posted showing all 3 choices, all I see on the single chain is the 9-patch square. Yet on Jenny's quilt, I see the chain more clearly (which is what I want to see). Hope somebody can tell me whether it's the difference in using one solid color vs. an assortment of prints. Is it just my eyes?
                              Jenny's Tutorial
                              How to Make an Irish Chain Quilt - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X