Sewing binding on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing binding on

Help needed ... I am finishing a "Vintage Santa" (wall hanging) ... to be used as a table topper ...
    I always have trouble with mitered corners and this is no exception. I have machine stitched the binding on the backing side already, thinking I would machine stitch the front side in place, but ... Not coming out well. I took out the short bit I had machine stitched, and am now contemplating what to do with it. Would it be best to simply sit and hand stitch it in and be done? Should I try machine stitching again ... so hate these corners as is (lol). Sorry for this frustrated moment .. is passing I think ~~ Joanne
    Btw ... I have watched Jenny's video on her binding quilts and was inspired by it, yet still not working for me (sigh)
    Last edited by contentsenior; January 25, 2014, 07:57 AM.

Re: Sewing binding on

Maybe this will help.

How to Bind a Quilt - 6 Simple Steps - YouTube
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Thank you Yes, I did watch this video too. It looks so easy, yet I still get frustrated doing those corners especially on machine. Maybe I should use a bit wider border? or simply practice it more. Since my initial posting I have decided to suck it up and try the hand stitching method after all. So far, so good as I have a better control over it as far as staying with my sewn guideline from back. Funny (and with apologies for any over-reacting on my part) how the answer best suited for me comes right around the same time as the question. Silly me (lol) So will practice more before asking unless I am really in a bind (huh-um) (tee hee)
      Love your quote too!

Comment

Originally posted by contentsenior View Post
        Thank you Yes, I did watch this video too. It looks so easy, yet I still get frustrated doing those corners especially on machine. Maybe I should use a bit wider border? or simply practice it more. Since my initial posting I have decided to suck it up and try the hand stitching method after all. So far, so good as I have a better control over it as far as staying with my sewn guideline from back. Funny (and with apologies for any over-reacting on my part) how the answer best suited for me comes right around the same time as the question. Silly me (lol) So will practice more before asking unless I am really in a bind (huh-um) (tee hee)
        Love your quote too!
        Ask away. I won't be able to answer anything because, well, I don't know anything. LOL I ask a lot of questions too. Also read a lot in the forums. Glad you found a solution that works for you. I am sure in the not so distant future, you'll be answering MY questions.
        Hugs,
        Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
        Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I do pretty well with the mitred corners as long as I watch exactly how far I stitch on those corners. Sometimes I have to rip out the corners and restitch. I cannot machine stitch the binding down...it looks terrible. I really don't mind handstitching it and it works for me. Just takes a little longer.
          Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Comment

Thank you for responding, Lightwriter I went ahead and hand sewed the binding down to finish and it looks great now. I found it really wasn't too time consuming considering it is about 25 inch square. I found the same problem with sewing machine binding down ... first side is good, second side looked terrible and I was afraid of really making a mess of it. Since it was a Christmas theme one I would not have had enough of same purchased binding fabric to cut more. Now I will take a picture of it and figure out how to post it .

Comment

I've never had good luck with machine stitching the binding down. I always stitch mine by hand.

Comment

Can you be more specific about what the problem is?

I hand stitch the bindings on quilts I'm keeping but I machine stitch bindings on quilts I'm giving away because non-quilters don't know the difference and it is a lot faster to machine stitch.

Are you using straight grain or bias cut binding? I have found bias cut binding to be a lot more forgiving especially in the corners because you can stretch and pull on it to convince it to do what you want. My corners are still never "perfect" but they are good enough. My quilt tops are beautiful enough that no one is looking at the corners anyway.
                Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

Working...
                X