Layer cake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Layer cake question

Good morning everyone. I have 3 layer cakes that I want to make a large quilt for my bed ..The few quilts I have made have been for everyone but myself but I don't know if I am ready to tackle this yet?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a really great video on making a quilt using layer cakes and sashing with the layer cakes positioned so the sashing looks like lattice?

Thanks
    Shelley

Re: Layer cake question

I don't know where a video is, but here's a pattern for sale. It's what I'm going to use eventually with fabrics from the countries my daughter is serving in.

Diary of a Quilter - a quilt blog: Shop Amy Smart Quilt Patterns

Comment

Jenny makes all kinds of quilts using layer cakes. What comes to mind are the You've Got Mail, Double Slice Layer Cake, & the 2 new ones for making the Disappearing Pinwheels #1 & #2, which is the Churn Dash. I'd browse the tutorials for ideas. JCY

Comment

I was doing some more google searching....the term I should gave used was On Point.....that is what I need to get a good grasp on before beginning...I just want to use my full layer cake blocks..on point with sashing in between....
        Shelley

Comment

Amy Smart's lattice pattern is exactly what you're describing, if you like written instructions. The only thing about setting your blocks on point is that you'll need bigger squares to make the setting triangles. Layer cake blocks won't be large enough for that. A few fat quarters of your fabric line should work. You'll need squares around 14 inches, in a variety of prints.

Comment

Even though the Lattice Tutorial that came out last week is made for charm squares, I think you could do it with layer cakes, and then you wouldn't have to deal with the on point, but it looks on point with the finished product. You could use a wider strip for a layer cake, probably a 2" strip, rather than a 1-1/2" strip for the charms. It would have a scrappier look than an on point layer cake with sashing.

Comment

This video shows how to figure out the size of your setting triangles. It doesn't have anything about sashing, but it may come in handy. It's Mary and Maryanna Fons. How to Set Diagonal Quilt Blocks On Point

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                I don't know where a video is, but here's a pattern for sale. It's what I'm going to use eventually with fabrics from the countries my daughter is serving in.

Diary of a Quilter - a quilt blog: Shop Amy Smart Quilt Patterns
                That will be really nice.

It said it was layer cake friendly too.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

lattice%20quilt%20pattern%20cover.JPG

is this what you are talking about?
                  Happy Quilting!

Comment

Great help as always. Thanks for all your feedback...
                    Shelley

Comment

It's funny how when you have experience, you can figure out how they made a quilt without paying for a pattern. I really like the Double Slice quilt for using a layer cake. It goes together so quickly, and when you use a layer cake, all the fabric coordinates.
                      Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                        Even though the Lattice Tutorial that came out last week is made for charm squares, I think you could do it with layer cakes, and then you wouldn't have to deal with the on point, but it looks on point with the finished product. You could use a wider strip for a layer cake, probably a 2" strip, rather than a 1-1/2" strip for the charms. It would have a scrappier look than an on point layer cake with sashing.
                        Okay, here is a very novice question. I just figured out what "on point" means (I think). Couldn't making a quilt on point, like in the photo posted, be accomplished by just doing regular squares with sashing and then turning the whole top 45 degrees? I looked at the photo both straight on and on a 45 degree angle and they are basically the same. Sorry if this is really a stupid question.
                        Hugs,
                        Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                        Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Originally posted by soul60s View Post
                          Okay, here is a very novice question. I just figured out what "on point" means (I think). Couldn't making a quilt on point, like in the photo posted, be accomplished by just doing regular squares with sashing and then turning the whole top 45 degrees? I looked at the photo both straight on and on a 45 degree angle and they are basically the same. Sorry if this is really a stupid question.
                          You do turn each square, but not the whole quilt after it is sewn together. On point is just a different layout, sort of like Jenny's zig zag table runner. You have to lay it out differently rather than say 5 by 7. You sew your rows together on the diagonal to achieve the on point layout, normally row one has 1 block, row 2 has 3, and so on.
                          K is for Karen 😊​..................
                          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                          T - is it TRUE?
                          H - is it HELPFUL?
                          I - is it INSPIRING?
                          N - is it NECESSARY?
                          K - is it KIND?

Comment

And then you have to use setting triangles at the end of each row and corner triangles to make the quilt come out square. I did a bow tie block quilt that way. It requires thought when laying the rows out.
                            Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Maybe this might help. When I first started trying to figure out on point, the diagram on here was the thing that made it "click" for me. How to set a quilt or block on point with piecing instructions.

Comment

Working...
                              X