Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labels

Morning, All,

I'm finally going to be finishing up quilts using my new Flynn Frame, hoping that helps me tremendously! Anyways, I realized that I don't have labels and beyond that, no clue how to put them on?!

Do you put them on with fusible something and then blanket stitch or something like that or do you put them on before you sandwich or after you finish ... you get the idea ... coz I sure don't!

Thank you so much and appreciate your kokua (help)
    *HUGS* and Alohas, Bridgette

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Unknown

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!" - Unknown

Blog
    http://hapamomquilts.blogspot.com

Re: Labels

I don't know if I do my properly or not (remember, there are NO quilt police). I fashioned mine after a quilt a great aunt made, although I sew mine out on the embroidery machine. I attach it to the back when I am sewing my binding on the front. It is only sewn down on that one side (I put it in the lower right-hand corner if you are facing the top of the quilt from the bottom . . . does that make sense?). After I've finished binding (by hand), I tack the loose corners of the label just using a large cross stitch in each loose corner to the backing of the quilt.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

That is the way I do mine, too.
      Once in a while I will embroider right on the backing if I'm making it specifically for someone. I have one now that will be given to DD and SIL for their new baby but I'm entering it in the fair first so i will attach the label afterwards for them. i did the same a few years ago for DS and DIL for their baby's quilt. I slipstitched the label on the back before i gave it to them.
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Good luck with your frame. I think you had a comment on my post. I think the most intimidating thing was attaching the quilt pieces to the frame. Augh . . . . .

Took me about a week to get up the courage to do it. LOL! I'm not very brave.

I think that I will put a solid quilt top on next. . a dark color and light thread and play with it just to get the big picture. I tried to start out just "winging" it and I think I needed more planning. I definitly got better from top to bottom of quilt. LOL! Lot of good that did.
        Linda L Maurer, Peach Bottom, PA

http://gardenquilting.blogspot.com/

Only a Quilter has a welcome mat at the door to her home and an
        "Enter at Your Own Risk" sign on the door of her sewing room (by Tom and Madge Powis)

Comment

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate your help! and Linda, I could not find the post and have been looking for it ever since! LOL! I did post on your blog coz THAT I could find ... slol!
          *HUGS* and Alohas, Bridgette

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Unknown

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!" - Unknown

Blog
          http://hapamomquilts.blogspot.com

Comment

I have used two methods of attaching a label. Most of the time I sew the bottom edge of the label at the same time I sew the binding on. Then I slip stitch the rest of the label in place. A few times I basted the label in place and quilted right over the label, removed the basting and tacked the corners in place.

Whatever is easiest for you is fine! No set rules for labels.

Good luck, Susan
            Susan

Comment

I make my labels n my embroidery machine and then hand sew them on.
              Suzette

Comment

Wonderful advice here. I hadn't thought of sewing edges in with the binding. I've used different methods successfully and sometimes don't get around to thinking about the label until I'm finished. But, I did read in an article about Lost and Stolen Quilts that its a good idea to attach it before quilting so that it can't be removed without making it obvious. Also read that an heirloom marriage quilt went to court in a dispute over property when the marriage broke up, and the maker (husband's mother) had sewn a hidden label underneath the visible one saying that the quilt should be returned to her if the marriage failed. It was.

Mary B.

Comment

Wow what a story, Mary B! Guess you can believe almost anything can happen in todays world.
                  Susan

Comment

Good little story! Thanks for sharing!
                    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

I can't add anything about labels; have done them as above as well.
                      Mary, that is quite a story! Mom's always seem to know!
                      Sewing mends the soul.
                      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Originally posted by suzette58 View Post
                        I make my labels n my embroidery machine and then hand sew them on.
                        This is what I've been thinking of doing. I just have to get my new computer set up with the program (older machine). I moved and can't find anything.
                        Linda L Maurer, Peach Bottom, PA

http://gardenquilting.blogspot.com/

Only a Quilter has a welcome mat at the door to her home and an
                        "Enter at Your Own Risk" sign on the door of her sewing room (by Tom and Madge Powis)

Comment

If anyone is interested there is a site called Lost Quilt Come Home at http://lostquilt.com/ with lots of stories and pictures. In fact it is a whole register of lost quilts and gives very good reason why we should all be labelling our quilts for safety and protection as well as historical record.

Mary B.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryB View Post
                            Also read that an heirloom marriage quilt went to court in a dispute over property when the marriage broke up, and the maker (husband's mother) had sewn a hidden label underneath the visible one saying that the quilt should be returned to her if the marriage failed. It was..
                            Love that story; but I'm torn...was the maker just being cautious based on today's statistics? or did she jinx the marriage?
                            ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Mary; I just read your story about the quilt label and my heart fell! We are going through a difficult time with our daughter. She has been married for 18 years and has 2 children ( my adorable grandchildren) She recently decided to end her marriage which totally blindsided us. I have been in such a depression worrying about how it will affect the kids! We had no clue there were problems..she hides things well. She planned to tell us at christmas but my husband became critically ill and in hospital for 3 weeks so she delayed telling us. Needless to say after reading the post the first thing that came to my mind was the quilt I just made for my granddaughter. I did not have time to label it and meant to do it soon. Not that it is heirloom quality or anything like that but I still felt sad!!!...I am praying that in the future I will be able to say it was all for the best. Keep my babies in your thoughts ok!!!...Val

Comment

Working...
                              X