Half square triangles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half square triangles

Is it just me or does everyone have to square up their half square triangles? No matter which method I use they don't come out square. I rarely see or hear Jenny say anything about squaring up. I am working on the large star quilt now. In the tute she says they should be 6-1/2" but mine not only are larger but not square. Do I just need to be more exact with my 1/4" seam?
    Vernona:icon_hi:

Re: Half square triangles

We always square up HST's. We even have a ruler dedicated to it: 6 1/2 Triangle Square Up Ruler by Quilt in a Day - Quilt in a Day / Rulers & Templates
    Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

Does the tutorial have you cut out triangles at 6 7/8 then sew 2 together? If so, this method never worked for me.

I would cut squares at 7" or even larger (but don't over do it to save on waste). Draw a line down the middle diagonally (point to point) on the lightest fabrics. Place 2 squares right sides together, then sew 1/4" on both sides of the line you drew.

Cut along the drawn line. Before you press them open, trim them down to 6 1/2". the best tool for this is the Eleanor Burns Triangle Square up Ruler. They come in a couple sizes. You lay the 6 1/2" line on top of your sewn seam then trim on both sides. Press open and trim your dog ears. It should be perfect at this point.

Here's video that explains this. Eleanor shows you a couple ways to do it.

Triangle Square Up - YouTube

Comment

I used the Easy Angle Ruler for the last HST blocks that I made. I was very careful with my 1/4" seam and they came out the right size (3 1/2") and square.
        *~* Myrna *~*
        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

The fact that Jenny makes it seem that all her patches are perfect, I know that they need to be squared. I had to use her method because I was using layer cakes, and they were way off so I squared them.

I think you should really consider getting the June Tailor HST ruler. It allows you to mark the SEWING lines which makes it so much more accurate rather than sewing 1/4 inch from a line. Yes, you must square them up, but when you do, they are perfect. I use this ruler to square up any patch, not just HST, from 1 1/2 all the way to 6 1/2 inches. Watch the video. I should mention that I never cut the squares on the 7/8th but I round up. That gives me a little bit more when I square up.

June Tailor's Perfect Half Square Triangles - YouTube
          Last edited by madampolo; January 24, 2014, 10:58 AM.
          Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

I always do. I use my fissy cut ruler because it has diagonal lines on it, and I put a piece of thick tape on it to sort of edge it up against the pressed seam on the diagonal.

Comment

I am trying Jenny's method for the first time and so far I have sewn and cut my pieces. Next I will press and check to see if squaring is necessary.

When I use the other method I cut my pieces at least 1" bigger than the finished block and square them up.
              Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
              Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

I need to square mine up all the time no matter what method. I squared them up before pressing them open a couple of times, and that seemed to work out well, they didn't need more squaring up from then on. I pressed them open VERY CAREFULLY!

Comment

So using that easy angle ruler, you just cut triangles and sew them together? That might be faster in the long run rather than sewing, cutting and then squaring up. Yeah, I figured Jenny had to square up at least sometimes but on the new video today she sewed hst together without even trimming the dog ears.
                  Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

I always square up. At each step. It's easier than ripping out.
                    Vonnie

Comment

I have the Fons and Porter ruler - I should find it and dust it off! LOL it's somewhere around here.
                      Vonnie

Comment

I think my 1/4seam must be a little"fat". As Jenny says, so I never cut using a 7:8in. Measurement. It just never worked for me. So, I always round the measurement up to the next whole number...sometimes a tiny bit mire than that....

This way I am guaranteed a perfect sized HST" once it is squared..... I oversize, no matter which method I use... I'd rather have a little waste than come up short....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

get your June Taylor Perfect half & quarter square ruler now! It's only $12.14 at amazon. follow the link

Amazon.com: June Tailor Perfect Half-Square & Quarter-Square Triangles Ruler-10-1/2x12-1/2": Arts, Crafts & Sewing
                          Karen

Comment

I square up everything! Esp. HSTs. I purposely make my HSTs ~ 1/8" bigger than needed, just so I can square up better. I'd rather waste a sliver of fabric than come up short on one side. I've been using my 6.5" Creative Grid sq. ruler to square up the 5" blocks for my current project. JCY

Comment

Don't you know Jenny is a quilting Diva and doesn't need to do such things as that. LOL...she has minions that do here squaring for her. And yes her 1/4" is a little fat.
                              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X