Ironing fabric pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ironing fabric pieces

Hi Just a curious question here .... does it make any difference if you press quilting pieces with steam iron or dry? Is there a preference? Love your videos!!

Re: Ironing fabric pieces

As long as you press and not iron I don't think there is any difference. Just a personal choice.
    Dena
    I took up Quilting and gave up cooking!
    Dena

Comment

Thanks Dena. I am sure while watching several of Jenny's quilting videos on You Tube that her iron was set on steam. Perhaps I was wrong, but wondered if it was advisable or not. Generally I do just use dry hot iron to press unless there are a lot of creases in fabric. Think I'll go with which ever method seems to suit the purpose best at the time. ~~ Joanne

Comment

I have a piece of wood block that I have used on seams to get them as flat as possible. Steam the seam pressing them open, then press again with the wood block. That's a tailor"s trick I saw once.
        Have a Sewonderful Day,
        Mary T.

Comment

Nice idea! Thank you, Mary

Comment

Steam or dry is an individual preference. My quilting instructor taught no steam, so that's what I do. If I have a troublesome seam, esp. where HSTs meet, I use the Clover Pen or a tiny squirt of the Best Press Starch & press--no back & forth movements. JCY

Comment

If your fabric is cut on the bias use a dry iron. Too much steam will make the bias edge go stretchy and you'll lose the shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheena View Post
                If your fabric is cut on the bias use a dry iron. Too much steam will make the bias edge go stretchy and you'll lose the shape.
                That's good to know. I'll have to remember that. Thanks.
                Hugs,
                Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Working...
                X