T-shirt quilt block placement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T-shirt quilt block placement?

I've started on a t-shirt quilt for my neighbor's daughter. I wanted to make all the blocks the same size so it would be easy to place & sew them all together. But, some of the logos are bigger all around or much wider than the standard 12 inch squares I got from most of the shirts. I know I could sash the smaller ones until I get a uniform size but I think it would be so interesting to have blocks of different sizes...if I could figure out how to get it all together. That's a big IF because all my quilting up til now has been all about the symmetry of how they fit together.

I wish I could draw a picture to explain what I'm trying to say! If anybody gets what I'm trying to describe... would you try something like this or keep it simple?

Re: T-shirt quilt block placement?

Look at this quilt - http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...tic-flare.html

To me, it appears the blocks are different sizes and she used random blocks/strips to fill in the gaps. How would that look?
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I found many ideas on Pinterest Pinterest
      Sometimes you never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory. Dr. Seuss

Comment

I did a google search for tshirt quilts and here is a website that shows some that were done with all different sizes.

http://www.toocooltshirtquilts.com/b...T-shirt-Quilts

I think they are more interesting than when the blocks are all the same size. However, my ocd will probably end up with a very straight forward layout for the one I am going to do for my son.
        Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

My DD has many different sized logos, as well as different colors, so I'm not sure how I will set them up. I am sure it will be organized chaos in the end. I also think that the different size and shaped blocks look more interesting than having everything the same. I would just lay them all out in differen ways, take a picture of each layout, and see which one you like the best.
          :icon_wave: Linda
          "Home is where they love you"

Comment

I did this and cut every tshirt at 4 1/2, 8 1/2, 12 1/2 and 16 1/2. Then i decided the width and length I wanted, laid out the blocks and filled in the spaces with other fabric. It was more time consuming but it turned out cool.

Comment

When I made one I used 12 & 15 inch wide vertical rows. It was then pretty easy to sew together.
              Have a Sewonderful Day,
              Mary T.

Comment

My blocks had different sizes too, made up for it by adding different size frame around it.
                Last edited by JAM; January 24, 2014, 01:06 PM.
                ♥♥♥ JAM ♥♥♥

Comment

I think it's more interesting with different sizes. Lay it out in the pattern you want and fill in the gaps with scraps or use the same material that you will be backing the quilt with.
                  Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to get all the shirts made into the squares, lay them out and fill in the leftover spaces with leftover scraps of the shirts we used and possibly matrial we pick for the border & back. I'll post a picture when we get it all together.

Comment

I did one and it is in one of my albums. Mine are all the same size. My OCD seems to always pop in there too!
                      http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...ast-summer.jpghttp://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...ast-summer.jpg
                      Happy Quilting!

Comment

Working...
                      X