The Witch - hand or machine Quilt??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Witch - hand or machine Quilt??

Hey everyone...I know it's been a while since I posted...hoping all is well with you all!

Some of you may recall the Quilt I made last winter and fondly referred to as "The Witch". She has not yet been quilted and I have not done much of anything lately.

I took a Craftsy class on quilting large quilts on a small machine but I'm not sure I will be all that pleased with the results if I do this.

So! My question is this...is it absolutely necessary for me to have a quilting frame if I want to attempt to quilt her by hand? Will I end up with carpal tunnel issues if I try!? Any help or advice would be appreciated. I obviously have never hand quilted a thing in my life, but I did used to do a lot of X-stitching back in the day. TIA all! xox

Re: The Witch - hand or machine Quilt??

I have successfully hand quilted a couple of wallhangings....you really don't need a frame for that size. It was before I discovered spray basting...I used a lot of safety pins. Start in the middle and work out. Should be fine as long as it all stays together. I think the spray basting would work, maybe supplemented by a few pins.

I love the look of handquilting, but arthritis in my wrist and thumb has made me try to learn fmq. Not good yet, but I just can't do the hand quilting anymore without considerable pain. Good luck! It takes time, but is really pretty.
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Comment

I know people that hand quilt with out using a frame. Give it a try, and see what you think.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

If you were a cross stitcher I'm guessing you would be fine... I love the look of hand done,, and I don't mean the "perfectly spaced stitches"... you may think it looks funny at first, but when it's all done,,, I think you'll be pleased... if you are a perfectionist,, maybe not.. but try it out,, the first quilt I ever made was done with embroidery thread and large stitches around all seams, no frame... it made me fall in love with quilting...B
        "Each day well-lived and Happy;
        that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

here it is... my first quilt... don't know if you can see the big hand stitches,, but I always loved this quilt..
          Attached Files
          "Each day well-lived and Happy;
          that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Wendy....I hand quilt all my project (with the exception of one in my pics).....I do hoopless! there are lots of tutorials on youtube that help you along!
            Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyI View Post
              Hey everyone...I know it's been a while since I posted...hoping all is well with you all!

Some of you may recall the Quilt I made last winter and fondly referred to as "The Witch". She has not yet been quilted and I have not done much of anything lately.

I took a Craftsy class on quilting large quilts on a small machine but I'm not sure I will be all that pleased with the results if I do this.

So! My question is this...is it absolutely necessary for me to have a quilting frame if I want to attempt to quilt her by hand? Will I end up with carpal tunnel issues if I try!? Any help or advice would be appreciated. I obviously have never hand quilted a thing in my life, but I did used to do a lot of X-stitching back in the day. TIA all! xox
              You will be fine! I use a ten inch hoop to hand quilt...I have short arms.... It seems to work well with any quilts of all sizes....

You needn't worry about carpal tunnel syndrome..... It won't be a problem, unless you quilt twelve hours a day.

I much prefer handquilting... I love the way it looks, and it's a relaxing thing to do.....and, you feel the quilt becoming "quilty" right in your hands....cool.....

Good luck.,

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I cannot hand quilt without my 14" hoop. It helps keep the back taut where you can't see it so you don't get lumps and bumps.

Stitches made by hand are such a pretty look on a quilt. Good luck!
                Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

Thanks all! I think I will try just running the straight edges on the machine to keep everything in place and then use a large hoop to start. It's also been partially spray basted.

I have had carpal tunnel corrective surgery done bilaterally about 15 years ago so I'm fairly cautious about what I do with my hands but I think you are correct...as long as I don't overdo it I should be good.

Any particular types of thread, thimbles or needles I should think about?

Comment

Amazon.com - Q-Snap Lap Frame 11x17

This is the kind of frame/hoop I use when hand-quilting. They are super easy to use and lightweight. I've done queen and king size both with this frame.
                    K is for Karen 😊​..................
                    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                    T - is it TRUE?
                    H - is it HELPFUL?
                    I - is it INSPIRING?
                    N - is it NECESSARY?
                    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I can't add to this hand quilting conversation as I don't think I will ever even attempt it but I did want to tell you that it is really good to see you post again!! It's been a long time and, Wendy, have been missed. Take care!
                      Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandma G View Post
                        I can't add to this hand quilting conversation as I don't think I will ever even attempt it but I did want to tell you that it is really good to see you post again!! It's been a long time and, Wendy, have been missed. Take care!
                        Me too! No hand quilting experience here, but good to see you posting again. Hope to see you around more often. Hope the family is all good!
                        Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Wendy I just have a 18" hoop that I use for hand quilting. I use hand quilting thread and can not quilt without a thimble. Good luck, you will do just fine.
                          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I use a snap frame like the one linked in previous post. You will want to use 'quilting thread' like you are not supposed to use in a machine and extra sharp quilting needles. You will want a thimble to push the needle through, I personally prefer leather for the push finger and I have a plastic one with a groove in it for my guide finger on the bottom. Everybody finds their own way that works best for them. My grandma could hand quilt 12-15 stitches to the inch, I feel accomplished to manage 5-6! If you go for it, I would suggest a small project for your first foray.

Comment

Most of my quilts are hand quilted. Just watch a few tutorials..and do what feels comfortable. It does take some practice. Took me a while to get the hang of it. I use a hoop, but some of my friends just lap quilt...no frame or hoop. A thimble is essential and good quilting needles. I like experimenting with different threads too. Have fun with it. For me, it's a lot more relaxing than machine quilting. I do use spray baste to keep the quilt sandwiched.
                              SandyWhite
                              Ocala, Florida
                              http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X