Pre cuts or yardage??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre cuts or yardage??

I'm just wondering what most people here prefer to use when making quilts...
    Do you prefer to buy pre cuts from a single designer ?? Or do like to mix & match yardage & cut your own pieces?
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt :icon_wave:

Re: Pre cuts or yardage??

I like mixing and matching if possible. I love precuts especially fat quarters and layer cakes
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I like both , but If I do buy yardage, I need to make sure the fabrics match in tones. I like layer cakes and JR.
      :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Comment

I prefer yardage.
        SandyWhite
        Ocala, Florida
        http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm new to quilting. The first small lap quilt I made I used yardage. Then I decided to try jelly rolls since I struggled with cutting accurately. I'm now back to yardage because for some reason I have a tough time sewing 1/4" seams with the pinked edges.

Comment

I tend to buy yardage instead of the precuts, although the precuts are so pretty and tempting.
            When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I do both, but tend to buy more yardage than precuts.

Comment

I use both. The precuts sure make quilting easier.
                Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

I prefer yardage most of the time. I do, however like the jelly rolls. Not so much charm packs. I don't mind cutting out 5" squares
                  "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
                  :D

Comment

If I had access to large local quilt shop I think most of the time I would buy yardage and cut my own pieces. The precuts are really convenient and save you a lot of time and it's a way to get some of a designers entire line, which a store may not be able to carry. I love jellyrolls and layer cakes for their versatility. You can't beat the daily deals here at M*. I love fabric no matter what form it comes in! I must say I also love the convenience of my fabric being delivered to my door.
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I love pre-cuts because you get such a wide variety of fabrics, maybe one or two for every pattern in a given line. You just can't get that from yardage unless you by 40 different fabrics that match in design and tone. I use yardage for borders and backing, and for things like white or black strips where fabric variety is not an issue. I use yardage of 100% white cotton for fabric dyeing, as well as for other fabrics to go into a quilt.
                      Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

I look at it this way. If I get yardage I have more options of using it. I can cut it any size I want, multiple sizes, and easy to get more if I need it and it is usually cheaper. With pre cuts...you get only one of each print color so if you want multiples, you have to buy more packs and sometimes not use some of what is in the pack. Charms are particularly limited as you can only go smaller with them. Yes you can add to them, but you still only get one of each of the prints. But Fat quarters...you can cut several sizes and get several pieces out of one FQ. Just how I look at it.
                        Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

It depends on what I'm making. Usually we use yardage but we used a jelly roll on the double hourlgass quilt and I like the look of all the different fabrics.

Note: My wife does most of the cutting so if I used exclusively pre-cuts she'd lose her [quilting] job security.
                          Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

I 'm basically lazy, so when I can afford them, I love to use precuts.... I like having an entire line to work from... I buy yardage for borders and backing..... And I use it when I need a lot if the same fabrics.... Both yardage and precuts have their uses.... I buy a lot of charm packs, but only because I can seldom afford layer cakes and jelly rolls.

I watch the DD's for particular layer cakes and jelly rolls.... Charm packs, too.... I am pretty choose about the fabrics I use....

My dream is to have bolts of Kona White and black, as well as some blenders. A good selection of polka dots and various striped, would be good, too... And lots of wide backings and good batting....

When I come right down to it, I guess the answer is that I use both, but love working with precuts.... They are so convenient, and save so much time.... Not to mention how cool they look..

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

It depends on the pattern I'm making. Sometimes I love the look of a matched fabric line. Other patterns it's more fun to mix and match on my own.

Comment

Working...
                              X