How do I fix this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I fix this?

I am going to try to post a picture of a problem I have found on this my very first attempt at a quilt. Do you see how the threads are unraveling? How should I fix this. This is two outside squares that are attached to the first of two borders. There is not much room on the back of the seam. I don't think there is enough fabric join the two, as it has already been sewn down to the border. Will something like fray check work on the back to prevent further unraveling?
    photo.JPG
    Thanks for you help!
    Dayna
    Dayna

Re: How do I fix this?

I would undo the seams in that spot and fix it. Fray check won't help. Go in and reinforce that seam.
    "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
    :D

Comment

I would do what Julie said or put an applique over it!
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I would fix the block. It's hard to see from the picture, but it looks like your dark fabric is not cut straight on the crosswise grain which can cause seams to fray. Also, shorten your stitches. We all have mishaps from time to time and it's best to correct the problem right away.

This blog has a lot of tips for new quilters. Scroll down to the rotary cutting instructions and you wil see the proper way to square up your fabric before cutting into desired pieces.
        Diary of a Quilter - a quilt blog: Tutorials

Comment

You may be able to go in and hand stitch that seam where it is coming apart without ripping anything. In the future, try shortening your stitch length since seams aren't usually back-stitched in quilting. Shorter stitch = less likely to come apart.
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

I would do what Karen suggested.
            SandyWhite
            Ocala, Florida
            http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Comment

I had some blocks that were opening like that too. I went back and restitched those that I could and hand stitched the rest. I think I tend to manhandle my blocks too much and they start to unravel at the seams. I am trying to do better - especially when I've got it all sewn and am ready to add the borders.

Comment

I know it sucks to rip out...but I have been sewing all my life and I have used a seam ripper more since I have been quilting than I have the whole 51 years before learning to quilt!
                "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
                :D

Comment

The seam ripper is our friend. I would go in and rip out a little more and resew it. As Karen said, shorten your stitch length for piecing.
                  Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                  sigpic

Comment

What everybody else said about stitch length...and make sure you are catching the very beginning of the fabric when you sew. Also, are you pressing the seams open? That has caused problems for me when I first started, press to the dark (or the 'dark side' as Jenny says).
                    Quilts may come, and quilts may go, but the stitches stay the same.:icon_hi:

Comment

I had that problem a lot till a tip I saw with Leah Day. Now I stitch with 1.5 stitch length and problem no more!
                      Have a Sewonderful Day,
                      Mary T.

Comment

What everyone else said! Also, one more thing, are you using polyester or cotton thread? Polyester thread is slippery and can come apart at the end of the seams...

Comment

Fray check will not fix this issue. You need to remove the threads in the border seam far enough to be able to re-sew the two blocks together. I have never had trouble with my seams coming apart because you cross them with another seam. It's possible your stitch length is too long and/or your tension is too loose. There is also the possibility that that you were too rough when you pressed your seams. You want to avoid backstitching at the end of your seams.

You need to fix the problem (not a biggie) rather than sew an applique over it. I'm sure you will be making more quilts and you don't want this to happen again. Let me know how it works out for you.
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

It doesn't look to me like anything is fraying but it could just be the photo I'm seeing. If it's just a case of loose stitches you should shorten your stitch length when you sew. Eleanor Burns most often sews a stitch length of 1.8. If you don't have a machine that shows stitch length as do the newer machines. Just manually shorten your length. That should help. Also, you shouldn't have to backstitch when piecing. Stitch length is the key. To fix the problem you're having I would just take needle and thread and do an appliqué stitch to pull that seam back together.
                            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Yes, I did press the seams open. For the borders I did press to the dark side as I was watching her video as I did it! Thank you.
                              Dayna

Comment

Working...
                              X