Tshirt quilt help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tshirt quilt help

To Anyone who has made a Tshirt quilt. Two questions. Do you normally quilt right through the designs of the shirts? I am scared to quilt it but I feel I need to because the designs were so big and what color thread should I use? I was thinking red, gray or black. Which one would show the least? I was just going to do a meander through it.
    DSC02721.jpg
    Patrice

Re: Tshirt quilt help

I did make a t-shirt quilt. I used clear thread for the top and my back was black and gray, so I used black thread for the back. I also quilted through designs, depending on what I quilted in that square.

I think a red thread on top for the one you made (gorgeous by the way) would look terrific. You want it to stand out some. The one I made had many many colors on it and using a color on top of the quilt would have been distracting.

Hope that information helps.
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

You could quilt the areas around the designs if you don't want to quilt on top of them. I've done that before. And depending on how much you want the quilting to stand out depends on the color. Grey usually goes with anything.
      Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

I would quilt through the designs . The meander is good . I would use a varigated thread with red, black, gray in it
        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
        Sigmund Freud

Comment

I've made a lot of T-shirt quilts and like to quilt around the logos. It makes them "pop". Since yours are all large logos, quilt right to the logo, and find a few places inside the logo to "tack" it down, such as quilting around the head in that center block. Because your quilt is dark AND light, I'd use a dark grey thread. It will be light on the light fabrics, but darker on the darks. It doesn't look like any of those have rubberized logos, which can be a REAL pain to quilt through!! Good luck - it looks great!
          Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

I made my DH one a few years ago. I did the same as kgrammiecaz and used clear thread. The back was blue and white swirling design so I used white in the bobbin. I just meandered of the whole block.

Your quilt is stunning!
            Vonnie

Comment

When I made mine for my grand daughters, I hadnt learned about FMQ yet. So I just SITD around the blocks and then did a little bit of stitching in certain area of the t shirts to kind of hold it all down so it didn't look all puffy and bubbly. Like if there was a word on the shirt, I would either sew a circle or square around it or if the letters were large and word was short, I would stitch around each letter. I also stitched around designs like a square or stitched a line that went through the design.
              Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

I used a 50wt neutral thread for mine. The thinner thread sinks down and after it is washed I could hardly tell what color it was. All that shows is the quilting.
                Have a Sewonderful Day,
                Mary T.

Comment

Working...
                X