Pre-wash or not?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-wash or not?????

Do you pre-wash all your fabric??? I have only pre-washed reds and blacks and have never had a problem, but I interested in what others are doing....

Re: Pre-wash or not?????

I only prewash reds. I recently have been hand dyeing fabric, and I have been washing the heck out of it so I won't have a problem when putting it in a quilt.
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

I always wash fabric that I use for garment sewing. I don't wash fabric that I am using for quilts.

Comment

I never prewash
        "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
        :D

Comment

NO . I don't pre wash. In my first quilt class a few years ago, the instructor was admant about washing, starching and ironing your fabric before cutting. However, I realized, it was not necessary when using good fabric. I did have a bad experince with flannel that I used to back a lap quilt, When washed it shrank horribly. Now I buy a better grade flannel and I have not run into that problem. I hope this helps you.

Comment

I never pre wash. But when I wash after quilt is finished, I always use color catchers if the colors are bright, like reds, blues, purples. I use 2 or 3.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

I never pre-wash, either....

In fact, when I made Earl's comfort quilt, I backed it with a quality flannel, and had virtually no shrinkage. It waves heavy, and cost $11.00 a yard.... I didn't even think about it... Just threw the quilt into the washer and dryer.... No problems...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I do not prewash, mostly because I do not have the time. But I like working with fresh fabric.

This has been a dilemma in BOM classes. One instructor is adamant about prewashing and another about not.

It really does come down to individual preference these days as was mentioned earlier, good fabric really does not need to be prewashed unless you do not want your quilt to shrink a bit.
                Karen
                Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I never prewash & I've never had a problem. I like the crinkly look of the finished quilt after the first wash.
                  I might mention that I too, was told to pre-wash everything in the first quilting class I ever attended, but heck, I'm a grown up. I don't have to listen to the teacher if I don't want to.. LOL
                  May the road rise up to meet you...
                  May the wind be always at your back...
                  May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                  Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I have heard that the important thing is to be consistent. If you wash one piece for a quilt, wash them all. Guess it is all due to shrinkage uniformity. As far as bleeding......the reds are worse. But generally with the higher quality fabric this is not an issue. I have never used color catchers, but have heard that those who do, swear by them. Good luck!

Comment

I am a pre-washer old habit from garment days except pre cuts don't pre wash those.
                      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                      Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                      X