Sandwiching question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandwiching question

Sooo, this is my first BIG quilt top. It's 87 x 110" and the top is ready to be layered together. My problem is, I don't have enough floor space in my house to lay it out flat! Can I layer it in sections? I know . . . that sounds like problems waiting to happen, but I may not have a choice. Has anyone else had this problem?

Re: Sandwiching question

I have to move furniture when I lay one out that big but you say you don't have room. My lqs has tables they will let you use but so far I haven't done this. I know there are methods people use to sandwich on a smaller table but I still prefer to use the floor even though it kills my knees. I haven't tried the section method.
    Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Here's a video on how to baste a big quilt on a small table.... I have a lot of floor space so have not tried this but I think many here have.... How to Sandwich a Large Quilt on a Small Table - YouTube
      Murphy :icon_wave:

www.quiltparadigm.blogspot.com

Quilting forever, housework - whenever!

Comment

I pin baste everything on a utility table. I start in the center, pin, shift the sandwich, smooth it out, pin, shift and so on. Saves my knees and haven't had any problems with this method. Goes pretty quickly.

Comment

I made my king quilt in four sections, then connected them. This wouldn't work for you since yours is already in one piece.
          Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Jenny has a tutorial where she spray basted a quilt on her wall.

Comment

I baste in sections on a table. My knees can NOT handle basting on the floor.
              Cathryn

Comment

Jenny has a tutorial where she spray basted a quilt on her wall. Annnnd now I can't find it, so maybe it isn't Jenny. I know I've seen a tutorial somewhere.

Sorry for the double post.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabear View Post
                  Jenny has a tutorial where she spray basted a quilt on her wall. Annnnd now I can't find it, so maybe it isn't Jenny. I know I've seen a tutorial somewhere.

Sorry for the double post.
                  It's not Jenny. I think the lady's name might be Pat something, but the tute can be found on Youtube by searching "spray basting on the wall."
                  K is for Karen 😊​..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                    It's not Jenny. I think the lady's name might be Pat something, but the tute can be found on Youtube by searching "spray basting on the wall."
                    It's Patsy Thompson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoUzK19Vww
                    *~* Myrna *~*
                    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Originally posted by MRoy View Post
                      What a good idea ! Thanks for that
                      :icon_wave: Lynn

Comment

I would never attempt to sandwich & quilt one that large. I send it out to the LAQ. It's well worth the money. JCY

Comment

If you have a local quilt shop in your area.........you might check with them about using tables in their classrooms. I know the quilt shop here offers that space for free when their are no classes.
                          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Originally posted by mooveenut57 View Post
                            Sooo, this is my first BIG quilt top. It's 87 x 110" and the top is ready to be layered together. My problem is, I don't have enough floor space in my house to lay it out flat! Can I layer it in sections? I know . . . that sounds like problems waiting to happen, but I may not have a choice. Has anyone else had this problem?
                            I have the same problem as you, and our dining table is round so I can't use that either.
                            I use my queen size bed for making the sandwich.
                            I find I have to do it in sections and roll it up a bit, but it works.
                            I spray baste as I go, and then I give the whole thing a press with a dry iron before I start quilting.
                            So far I haven't had any problems apart from an aching back!
                            One day I hope to have enough wall space to make a design wall.
                            Good Luck!

Comment

thanks all for the suggestions . . . I try anything that will save my old knees!

Comment

Working...
                              X