Irons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Irons

I have an expensive one with a ceramic coated soleplate which I no longer use for quilting as I've found it doesn't glide on fabric like an iron with a stainless steel soleplate.
    ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric and then sow it back together again? Really?"

Comment

I have a rowenta focus - wonderful iron definitely check the country of origin - the less expensive models are not made in Germany. I got mine for a great deal (around $40 for about a $100 iron) at Kohls with a good coupon and some kohls cash

Comment

Mine is a Black and Decker that I got either as a wedding gift 35 years ago or it was one of the very first things I bought after getting married. I have been sewing since I was 10 so an iron has always been with me! But this one...it is about 35 years old and works like a charm! The spray feature doestn' but I never liked that much anyway. I prefer a spray/stritz bottle and spray where I want instead of just where it wants to go! But other than that, the cleaning feature still works and I have had no problems with it ever. It is metal base and lightweight kind of metal upper part so it is sturdy. I am not sure of these new plastic ones. Plastic and heat just aren't two things that should be together! But I guess they work. I am glad I don't have to make that choice! But...I say that to say this.. Black and Decker seems to have carried me for years so that offers them a good standing in longevity. I see those for $100 with that little automatic stand thingy...good grief... pay less than half that and stand the iron up yourself and take the rest of the money and buy wonderful fabric and thread!!!!
        Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

I got a Panasonic cordless for Christmas from my DH and I LOVE it. Makes it so much easier to iron.

Comment

Three years ago, my DBF gave me the gray Oliso for my birthday. My Rowenta had just died after 15 years of faithful service. He said it had better reviews than the higher-end yellow one. LOL....the iron used to scare me every time I let go of it! I highly recommend it because it has been a dream.
            Theda :icon_wave:

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
            "Carlie Rae" - Babylock Crescendo

Comment

I have a Kambrook Steam Station which is rubbish (I'm in Oz so maybe not available there) lots of steam but the sole plate doesn't get very hot. I have a pink Philips which I use for ironing clothes ( that baby will never be worn out).

AND I have a yellow OLISO which I love love LOVE!!! What a brilliant piece of gear, gets so hot, perfect pressing!!!!

Comment

I have a Rowenta and a Sunbeam. I bought the Sunbeam as a temp until everything was shipped here. I almost always use it instead of Rowenta because the latter leaks sometimes.

Comment

I have had 3 Rowentas, and still have the Rowenta Professional. The first two Rowentas leaked, spewed and spit after about a year. I don't use the Professional one very much because it's so heavy. I bought a Shark at a good price at Kohl's that works as well as a Rowenta, but is light. On Black Friday I bought an Oliso at Joann's because it was on sale. I love it. After using it I never want to use another iron.

Comment

Originally posted by pamipatch View Post
                    I have a Kambrook Steam Station which is rubbish (I'm in Oz so maybe not available there)...
                    I almost bought one of those in Target yesterday but the price of $79 told me it was probably junk. Instead I bought a Sunbeam Verve 68 Resilium because it had the smoothest base of all the irons on display. I have been using a Breville Jetstream which has a 'negative ionic ceramic coating' on the baseplate but it doesn't slide smoothly on the fabric. The smoothest iron I have (it just rolls the seams to the side so easily) is a cheap $29 Sunbeam with a stainless steel baseplate but it doesn't have auto cut-off which I feel is necessary when the iron is on most of the day.

Comment

Rowenta and I love it. I'm a bit picky about my irons. The Oliso is calling my name, but can't bring myself to buy one when I have one that works great.
                      Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

After posting the above I looked around the net and found that I can buy the Oliso in Australia for around $140 which is the same price I paid for the Sunbeam Verve yesterday. I'm going to return the Sunbeam today and get an Oliso which I never knew were available in Australia.

Comment

Ron - check out your local Spotlight, they're $119.00 but not all stores have them. It's an awesum iron!!

Comment

Originally posted by pamipatch View Post
                            Ron - check out your local Spotlight, they're $119.00 but not all stores have them. It's an awesum iron!!
                            Thanks, Pamipatch. I should've checked here first but I've never seen any irons in my local Spotlight (not to say I've ever looked though). Anyway, I bought an Oliso online a few minutes ago and they're "express parcel posting" it to me at no extra cost. I will be hanging out for the postie tomorrow otherwise it will be next Tuesday because of the holiday on Monday.

Comment

I use a Rowenta Professional. It's the second Rowenta I've had and I love them because I like an iron with some weight. One that you might also investigate is the Reliable.
                              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

This is the one I bought a year ago.
                                Amazon.com - Rowenta DW5080 Focus Steam Iron with 400-hole Stainless Steel Soleplate 1700 Watt, Beige

I have been very happy with it. Heats quickly and stays hot.
                                Be blessed,
                                Sandy

God has a plan and it is a good plan.

Comment

Working...
                                X