Which square ruler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which square ruler?

I'm beginning my first quilting project and noticed the pattern I'm following (Summer in the park) calls for a 12 1/2" square ruler to use for cutting the sewn "tubes". I have a 10 1/2" - will it work okay or should I make a dash for the store?

No first project goes smoothly but I'm trying to set myself up for success Help, please.
    Renee

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle ~ Plato:)

Re: Which square ruler?

I have the 12 1/2 ruler and really like it. It's come in handy many times. I'd say it's worth the trip to the store.
    Diane Gulick
    Proud Grandma of 7 grandchildren and wife to the most wonderful husband ever.

Comment

The 10 1/2 inch will work, your quilt will just be smaller if you are following a specific pattern. But, of course if you are looking for a reason to go to the fabric store...lol!
      LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

I think if it calls for the 12 1/2 square ruler, I'd use that. Besides, you can use that ruler to square up 12 1/2 inch blocks. I was looking at the Creative Grids 12 1/2 square up ruler and thought I should invest in that. You can use it to square up a 10 1/2 inch block as well. I use my June Tailor HST ruler to square up squares that are 1 1/2 inch up to 6 1/2 inches. For your Summer in the Park, you will be using it to cut triangle like on your tubes. It is important to cut it right if you want it to match up when you sew them together. I am attaching a picture of a Summer in the Park quilt top I did awhile back. I never completed it though.

P.S. I don't remember what ruler I used on it.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by madampolo; January 19, 2014, 12:46 PM.
        Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

I'm trying to follow the Summer In the Park. I've sewn my strip sets together and have sewn those into the "tubes". I'm now ready to cut them. According to the pattern I'm reading (and other sources I've checked), I should use the 45 degree line on a 12 1/2" square ruler. Obvioulsy, since I"m new to the game, I have no idea if using a 10 1/2" will make a difference in cutting the angles.
          Renee

Comment

Originally posted by Mimis-quilts View Post
            The 10 1/2 inch will work, your quilt will just be smaller if you are following a specific pattern. But, of course if you are looking for a reason to go to the fabric store...lol!
            I think your tube would need too be smaller for it to work, and that means your strips would need to be thinner.
            Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

not sure if this is correct, but I've used a 5" long ruler even,, as long as you cut the first angle at 45degrees, then alternate I think I might work... I'd google or youtube the process and see other people's ways of doing things... always helps me.. no ONE way is the only way, I've learned that with quilting...
              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Your 10 1/2" ruler will probably work, as long as you can put the 45 degree line on the stitching line and be able to cut continuously to the other side. A 45 degree line is the same on the 10 1/2" as it is on the 12 1/2" as it is on the 6". What matters here is that you can get a straight cut. You want it to come out square when you open up the triangle.
                Kathy Crofoot
                http://kathyscache.blogspot.com

Comment

If the 101/2" ruler has a 45* angle line on it and it fits the fabric, then use it. It is the angle you need to worry about.
                  Originally posted by ren29 View Post
                  I'm trying to follow the Summer In the Park. I've sewn my strip sets together and have sewn those into the "tubes". I'm now ready to cut them. According to the pattern I'm reading (and other sources I've checked), I should use the 45 degree line on a 12 1/2" square ruler. Obvioulsy, since I"m new to the game, I have no idea if using a 10 1/2" will make a difference in cutting the angles.
                  Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KathyCrofoot View Post
                    Your 10 1/2" ruler will probably work, as long as you can put the 45 degree line on the stitching line and be able to cut continuously to the other side. A 45 degree line is the same on the 10 1/2" as it is on the 12 1/2" as it is on the 6". What matters here is that you can get a straight cut. You want it to come out square when you open up the triangle.
                    Thanks so much!! I kind of figured that it would be okay but wanted to make sure. The 10 1/2" does fit on the fabric and has a 45* line so I should be set. I might go pick up a 12 1/2" if I have an email coupon to use though
                    Renee

Comment

Working...
                    X