Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batting ?

Hi,
    How many of you purchase batting by the yard from Jo-Ann's for your quilts ? Jo-Ann's has a sale on today, and of course I am wondering about purchasing the batting by the yard?
    Jo-Ann's has batting by the yard on sale starting today ( for those of you that sew, McCall's Patterns go on sale Jan 26th ( for a couple of days for $1.99 )
    Here's the ad for the batting :
    50% off Polyester Batting By-the-Yard

Sale $2.49 - $3.99 yd (Reg. $4.99 - $7.99 yd)
    Only Valid Jan 31 - Feb 1
    IN-STORE ONLY

Someone gave me a never opened bag of batting. The brand is Poly-Fil Low Loft Batting 110 x !10 Queen / King Size
    ( 1/4" low loft height )
    This batting was made in Danbury CT.
    So, is this a good brand to use ?

Someone else gave me a partial bag of Mountain Mist ( underneath the brand name is says " Quality Quilt Batting " This batting was made in Cincinnati OH ?

I have some natural color batting that I also purchased at a local sewing shop. It's crib size.
    Any info you might provide would be helpful.
    I used batting from the Mountain Mist bag ( it was an opened bag I was given by a friend who is cleaning out her sewing room) for the charm pack bags I am making from the tutorial Jenny has here on MSQC.
    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Re: Batting ?

I make a lot of charity quilts, and use any and all battings,,, I've bought Hobbs from connecting threads at 30% off, and others, but recently have found a batting on the Walmart website only at about 30.00 for 9 yds... going to try that one when I need more..
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

So, the price at Wal-Mart sounds pretty good ( $3.33 per yard ) I realize you get what you pay for, in other words I suppose it's the same with batting too, if you buy a higher-end batting it's going to hold up better in the quilt ?
      Thanks.
      Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
      http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Barb, is that the 80/20 Pellon that is 96" X 9 yds. I am going to order that one too. I use 80/20 in most of my charity quilts.

To answer your question now. I use poly batting occasionally, but mostly when hand quilting. (I haven't figured out how to keep puckers out of it, if any lines cross). If you are wanting to buy a roll check out the batting that Barb and I are talking about. It has slightly more loft than cotton. Mountain mist, I beleive is sold by JoAnn too.
        Originally posted by GrammaBabs View Post
        I make a lot of charity quilts, and use any and all battings,,, I've bought Hobbs from connecting threads at 30% off, and others, but recently have found a batting on the Walmart website only at about 30.00 for 9 yds... going to try that one when I need more..
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

I use Hobbs 80/20 for all my quilts. It's what the lady who does my LAQ uses. She orders it in a huge roll & has it delivered to her house. She sold me 1/2 a roll, which figured out to be very reasonable. I've never bought anything from Joann's (not local). In town there are Hobby Lobby, WM, & Hancock's. Two LQSs within 10 mi. I once bought warm & natural by the yard from Hobby Lobby, but I didn't like it as well. Does anyone know what batting M*QC uses? JCY

Comment

Can I play Devil's advocate here and ask some questions? Do you quilt your tops yourself, or do you send them out to a longarmer? The reason I ask is that it could make a large difference if you send it out. My husband and I both longarm, and we've have clients bring us JoAnn's batting before that was really thin, and it would have left gaps in the quilt when quilted. Our client had put so much work into the top that it would have been a crime to use cheap batting in it as it was having heavy custom quilting. I have used batting from JoAnn's and it has been decent, but I definitely prefer Quilter's Dream products. I'm not affiliated with them at all, but if you're going to put a ton of time, money, and work into a quilt top, it would be a shame to use cheap batting and have a poor result in the end. Just my humble opinion.

Christine Wood
            Cedar Valley Quilts

Comment

Christine, I have a Grace wood frame and a Juki mid-arm machine, so I quilt my own. Although I have a pantograph, I mainly just meander around. I use the high-loft polly batting from Joann's, and it works wonderfully. I don't know about the low-loft, which is what your client gave to you, I guess. I made one quilt that I loved over any quilt I have ever made. I used the Warm and Natural cotton batting on it. That batting is very thin but didn't create gaps in the quilt. You are lucky to have a real long-arm, and to be skilled enough sell your skills.

So, I'd say to use the polly-fill high loft batting on quilts you either give away, or that don't mean much for you. For a top that does mean a lot, choose a better batting. I would love to buy a big roll of batting, but haven't been able to afford it. It would make my life easier with the Grace frame.
              Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

I use warm and natural. I buy it when it's on sale at Joann's or connecting threads. Warm and natural is the same no matter where you buy it. I bought a bag of Hobbs 80/20 I'm currently using it in a quilt I'm tying but I hate the way it feels on its own so it's the last time ill use it. I can't stand to touch it but it seems to be looking good in the quilt. I'm tying the middle and ill FMQ the border.

Comment

I use warm and white and buy it from the rolls at joann's when it's 50% off. It's seems like kind of "the middle of the road" for batting. It's not so high end that I can't afford it, but it doesn't feel cheap either.
                  :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Comment

I use Hobbs 80/20 I like how it feels in the quilt and how the quilt looks, It also washes nicely. I usually buy it with a 50% off coupon when I can.
                    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                    Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                    X