Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Quilter here...with a question about a serger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Quilter here...with a question about a serger?

My sweet DH bought me a used serger recently and I was trying to think of ways to use it. I've not even mastered my sewing machine yet, but want to know, do any of you experienced quilters use a serger to perhaps cut off the edges when sewing your binding on?

I hope I've worded that correctly, but just wondered if that would come in handy for that situation...I honestly cannot think of what else to use it for in the "quilting" arena, which is all I want to do right now.

Thanks so so much!

Dawn
    Woodstock, GA

Re: New Quilter here...with a question about a serger?

Hmm not sure of it's use in everyday quilting although there is a quilt pattern that is made by serger-6 hour quilts-by Kaye woods. I did make one years ago. Fast and easy but i can't really say i would do another one. i did use my serger a lot when I made clothing for my kids.It got a real workout then but I rarely use it now. Some people that prewash everything will serge the fabric to reduce fraying so if you prewash that would be one option.
    β€œWhat we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Thank you so much! I hate to just donate it or something...wished I had more interest in sewing other things, but right now I just LOVE to learn more about quilting

Thanks again!

Dawn

Comment

Nancy Zeiman has a blanket pattern that uses fleece. She pieced the top with the serger and left the seams on the outside of the quilt. She then used the serger on the edges of the blanket instead of a binding. It really is a cute blanket. I showed it to hubby once and he bought me a Singer serger...but I have such a hard time threading it, so I still havent made the blanket.
        ~Mary
        As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

There is a trick to sergers and threading them. They come from the factory already threaded, with the threads snipped off about a foot long on top. You tie your thread to the threads that are left hanging and simply pull them through. If you are lucky the only thing you have to actually thread is the needle. I learned that trick when I worked for Levi Strauss and carried it over when I got a serger at home. Like the others, I used mine a lot when my daughter was young, but hardly ever use it anymore.
          K is for Karen πŸ˜Šβ€‹..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

I just got a serger about 6 months ago. I am using it a lot, and today at my serger club we worked on making an entire quilt with the serger. I also have 3 different books that have quilts for the serger, including Serge & Merge Quilts. Since I had no sewing background, I am really enjoying learning how to use it for both quilts and clothing as well as some home decor. Our instructor makes us thread it and not just tie-on, but I'm learning to appreciate that method.

I have made a bunch of placemats and mug mats that I've used a decorative serged edge. Makes them go so quickly.

I say give yourself a chance to learn to use it. You might be surprised. (Possibly a store might give lessons?)
            Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

Comment

I wouldn't mind having the names of those 3 books that have quilts for sergers. Also, which book do you like the best?
              Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Wow, GREAT ideas! The serger my DH bought me came with a manual and a VCR tape (I don't even OWN a VCR anymore), but I am willing to learn...keeps my brain active! LOL...thanks so much for the great ideas!

Comment

Here is a link for a table topper made with a serger.

http://www.berninausa.com/webautor-d...ableTopper.pdf

And here is a like for a video that shows you how to make a book cover with the serger.

http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/berni...videos_id/1008
                  JVO

Comment

I know it's not quilting but I love using the serger for fleece blankets. I just use the blanket stitch and serge around that boy in no time flat! BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                      I wouldn't mind having the names of those 3 books that have quilts for sergers. Also, which book do you like the best?
                      Serge With Confidence [Paperback]
                      Nancy Zieman

Ready, Set, Serge: Quick And Easy Projects You Can Make in Minutes [Paperback]
                      Georgie Melot

Simple Serger Sewing [Paperback]
                      Julie Johnson

I've used the last one the most, but I'm always partial to Nancy Zieman. The middle book has a project and then a "stepped up" version which is a little more advanced. All are on sale at Amazon and they have them bundled together I think.
                      Nancy

Comment

Oops, I see I forgot to list the proper one which is:

Serge and Merge Quilts [Paperback]
                        Sharon V. Rotz (Author), Nancy Zieman (Author)
                        Nancy

Comment

I have a serger but haven't used it for quilting yet. My mother serges all of her quilts. The quilts I have done since I got my serger all required cutting after piecing (disappearing nine patch, strip piecing, etc). The biggest thing you have to be careful about with the serger is that you don't want to cut your end strings off at the edge of your fabric and you don 't want to cut the seam in half. Serger seams come unraveled easily. The tails I have at the end of my serging get threaded back through my loops. I have used my serger for lots of bags and some shorts for my son. I have a quilt that I have almost finished and I plan on putting the binding on with the serger. I also have some quilt blocks that are finished and I will probably try out putting the boarder on with the serger. I think it will just take some getting used to. Like I said, the biggest thing is just not letting your loops unravel when you are piecing.

Comment

Working...
                          X