Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this sort of thing frowned upon?

Free Quilt Pattern: Irish Chain Quilt from EZ Quilting at Simplicity.com

So if you've followed any of my recent posts, I'm nearly finished with a single Irish Chain throw, for my DD and mutant SIL (TALL, XXL).

Starlover provided me with the above link to expand the size with this border technique. YEA!

Well, my variation, that is. I have the body of the Irish chain, 6X9 (6" squares) flanked by a 2" border of the dominant fabric completed. I am now ready for the final border. a six inch chain block in each corner, attached to the final six inch run lengthwise and widthwise, in the contrasting fabric.

Is it a total 'faux pas' if I adjoin the final 6" border on a 45 degree angle to complete the final border pass? I'm coming up short on fabric.

Yea, I know....

Who knew?
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Re: Is this sort of thing frowned upon?

Frowned upon? No.. A pieced quilt is a pieced quilt. It's your quilt and you are allowed to do what you like and want to. I love that 9 patch on the corners. Love it. I would do it. And that is why it's not wrong. LOL.

Comment

Sue, I usually cut my borders by the width of the fabric, so I almost always have to join 2 pieces to be long enough for the sides. With 6 inch borders, you may just want to do a straight seam, to join the 2 pieces, since you will lose quite a bit of fabric in a mitered join. From what I have read, if the border fabric is stripes or plaids, it is also less noticeable to do a straight seam.

Can't wait to see the finished top! Love me some Irish Chain - it is on my want to do list!
      Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Originally posted by ilive2craft2 View Post
        Sue, I usually cut my borders by the width of the fabric, so I almost always have to join 2 pieces to be long enough for the sides. With 6 inch borders, you may just want to do a straight seam, to join the 2 pieces, since you will lose quite a bit of fabric in a mitered join. From what I have read, if the border fabric is stripes or plaids, it is also less noticeable to do a straight seam.

Can't wait to see the finished top! Love me some Irish Chain - it is on my want to do list!
        Thanks for the speedy input, chicas!

Lisa, mine will NOT be that interesting of a quilt.
        My only order from DD2 was to someday make a throw that was 'golden retriever' friendly. I had blonde fabric.
        I happened to be quite adventurous one day, and do a trial run of the irish chain with inexpensive fabric, and there was NO turning back!
        This is a crash test dummy, for the ta-da one I have in my head....
        But I will say I LOVE the simplicity.
        Except for the 'running out' of fabric part ......

Comment

You can do whatever you like with YOUR quilt. I can't wait to see the finished top.

I agree that it might be best to do a straight joining with such a wide border.... Especially if you are running short of fabric.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Let me know what fabric you found that is golden retriever friendly! We have one of them who thinks he is a lap dog and dog hair is everywhere, no matter how often we vacuum....
            Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

YOWZER!
              I just used this site for calculating my borders. I was able to find 1 and 1/8 additional yardage, and finished off the bolt!
              I was going to hold my breath
              on this one....

MyWebQuilter.com: Calculate Quilt Backing and Binding Fabric Requirements

According to this program, I need 1 and 1/8 yards!

When does that happen?

Comment

There is nothing wrong with joining your border sections. Most quilters do this all the time. Joining it on the diagonal is the preferred method unless you are using a plaid or large print fabric. Don't worry, Chica!
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                X