Does upside down fabric bother you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does upside down fabric bother you?

Hi! I bought the DD last week and am the happy owner of a Heather Ross Briar Rose layer cake. I am thinking about using it to make the Tea Cup Quilt that Hillary did a tutorial on or possibly a wonky star quilt (I am open to other suggestions!). But since the layer cake has some pieces with frogs, etc on them should I be careful about those pieces all facing the same direction when I arrange my blocks? Does it scream amateur if my blocks are facing random ways? This obviously isn't an issue when you use fabric with, say, a floral or batik pattern but it got me thinking about blocks facing the "wrong" direction when they have people or things on them. Is this something ya'll take I to consideration or am I overthinking this??

Re: Does upside down fabric bother you?

I don't worry about direction unless it is the focal point of the quilt.
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

for me - I dislike it facing different ways - unless it's an all over print - then I go with the flow -
      2015 is here
      Be Bold and Bravely put one foot in front of the other :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
        I don't worry about direction unless it is the focal point of the quilt.
        So would you worry about it with either of the two tutorials I mentioned -- Tea Cup and Wonky Stars?

Comment

Upside down fabrics bother me, but if the quilt is for you and you don't mind then by all means make the pattern you like best There are so many blocks turned around in the tea cup quilt that you may end up with some of your frogs in the wrong direction? I do have to say if any quilt would work with sideways prints, it would be this one. I'm not sure about the wonky star pattern, haven't really looked at that one yet.
          If it is a concern for you, these are two on my 'someday' list that would be easy with directional prints.

Monica's Taking Turns quilt | Quilts
          Pretty | Quilts

Comment

I tend to turn the blocks with the directional print in all directions so that there is no "right side" to the quilt.

Comment

I made a Yellow Brick Road pattern with cartoon dinosaurs for my grandson. The Dino's face all different ways. It didn't bother me cuz that pattern has so much movement with all the different fabrics used, kinda blended right in. I think it's a personal choice. If you like the way it looks, then that's all that matters.
              May the road rise up to meet you...
              May the wind be always at your back...
              May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
              Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Are you always going to put the quilt on a bed the same way? I don't. So it wouldn't matter to me really.

Comment

I'm making this quilt with alphabet text in it.

Urban Cabin Pattern - Terry Atkinson Designs

I had to have the words all right-reading in the L-shaped border. The 2.5" strip would have had the alphabet sideways along the bottom. That really bugged me. I could have probably handled it if they were completely upside down in the alternating blocks though.

The one charm pack I had long before I was a grandma wasn't enough to make a twin-sized quilt for his new big boy bed. Therefore, I had to get creative, and I have the grandson's name in the extra rows of blocks, so the quilt has a direction. All of the alphabet is right-reading, or it would have really bothered me.

I'd say of the pattern is all loosey-goosey, you can probably get away with your frogs upside down, or as suggested, make it non-directional from the get go.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel
                  because those who mind don't matter,
                  and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for the input. It really helped me

Comment

Originally posted by goofyizzy View Post
                      I tend to turn the blocks with the directional print in all directions so that there is no "right side" to the quilt.
                      That is my preference, also. I would rather the directional fabrics are planned to face all four directions than to later be cuddled under a quilt with only one "correct" orientation! It can take more planning to get things evenly facing all four directions so to me it definitely does not scream "amateur."

sigpic
                      Marci

Comment

I would face them the same way or make sure I had a relatively equal number facing in each direction. In other words, I wouldn't want it to look like most of them were upright and a stray one here and there were upside down. Hope that makes sense.
                        Donna

Comment

I try and do them in equal portions facing different ways so as to not make myself crazy. unless they are the focus fabric then all go same way.
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

It does not bother me unless there is only a block or two facing upside down. Then it drives me nuts. I try to make sure that either about 50% are upside down or they all face the same direction.

Comment

Working...
                            X