So frustrated..I need help please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So frustrated..I need help please!!!

I just had to remove about 500 pins because there was stretching and puckering on my quilt back after I pin basted it. I clamped it to a table and was trying really hard to keep everything smooth. I am using unwashed muslin and now it seems to be all stretched and distorted in spots. Would it be a good idea to starch the backing first and try again. Sure hope someone can help me..Val

Re: So frustrated..I need help please!!!

I know this won't help you now, but this is one of the reasons that I spray baste. 505 is my favorite.

Lots of experienced quilters on this forum. I'm sure someone will have the answer for you.
    Vonnie

Comment

When I secure my backing to the table I gently smooth it not pulling too tightly before clamping it down. I've found it best to next lay down the batting but only smooth it gently as well. Also, I don't clamp down the batting. I only clamp down the backing. It's possible you might be going overboard with the smoothing of the layers. Trying too hard to keep everything taut doesn't work that well for me. When the clamps are released from the backing it will pucker if I've tried too hard to make the batting taut. You just want to smooth the batting gently on top of the backing. Anyway, this method works for me every time.
      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Was the backing stretched too tightly perhaps? I'm a relative noob at quilting, but in a class I took the teacher said to stretch the backing material taut, but not so tight that the backing 'springs back' when you untape it - or in your case unclamp it.

I went to spray adhesive because I couldn't stand all the pinning.

Comment

I do pretty much the same as Rebecca, except I don't have clamps so I use painters tape or masking tape. Once I pin everything, I turn it over and there are some puckers but nothing that can't be smoothed as your quilting. While I'm quilting, I make sure the area I'm working on is smooth on the top and bottom. Since I am working from the middle of the quilt out, it all works itself out. Then when you wash your quilt after it is complete, you won't notice any minor puckering anyway. Don't be so hard on yourself, it'll be fine. Don't work too hard at getting it perfect, as long as you don't have creases in the back, it'll all wash fine.
          Cil
          A quilt is a blanket of love
          http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
          http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

Another vote for gently taping the back down and spray basting.

Sorry it is giving you fits. Hope you get it resolved soon!
            Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

I also use painter's tape and spray adhesive. Works very well, no wrinkles. I tried pinning one time, never again.

Comment

Like Vonnie, I spray baste everything... It's a lot less trouble and not time consuming.... And, you get a nice smooth quilt.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

If it is really stretched out, I would suggest washing it to get it back into shape. Iron with starch and gently straighten to attach the batting. I use spray basting, but always attach the fabric to he batting, not the batting to the fabric. It is much easier to control, and smooth that way, cuz you can always feel and see what the fabric is doing.
                  Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                  sigpic

Comment

Ok my second attempt at replying. Thanks for all your advice. I have been sipping my thinking juice and wondering??? Marilyn I am worried about washing the backing now because the top was made with charm packs unwashed and will that just give me more grief? I am seriously considering the spray now. I made a chevron pattern with hsts and was so careful cutting and sewing together. I felt proud that most of my points matched. (Pride goeth before a fall? ) My sweet hubby helped me remove all the pins .I will have a sleepless night again I'm sure but maybe I will get it right somehow.

Comment

I would try spritzing with water and pressing to see if that gets the fabric to spring back into its original shape. It can't hurt... if that fails, then wash it and dry like usual. I don't think you'll have any problems. Once the quilt is finished it will be washed all together.
                      Kathy Crofoot
                      http://kathyscache.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Madeforyouinma11 View Post
                        I do pretty much the same as Rebecca, except I don't have clamps so I use painters tape or masking tape. Once I pin everything, I turn it over and there are some puckers but nothing that can't be smoothed as your quilting. While I'm quilting, I make sure the area I'm working on is smooth on the top and bottom. Since I am working from the middle of the quilt out, it all works itself out. Then when you wash your quilt after it is complete, you won't notice any minor puckering anyway. Don't be so hard on yourself, it'll be fine. Don't work too hard at getting it perfect, as long as you don't have creases in the back, it'll all wash fine.
                        This is a perfect explanation of my approach. I don't use spray baste because I would get frustrated when it was too sticky and I was trying to smooth as I quilted. So now I pin baste. But 500 pins? My goodness. I have probably used as few as 50 pins on a queen size quilt.
                        Joan, aka the Unaquilter

"I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma."

Learn more about me and my quilts at my blog:

http://debtofgratitude.wordpress.com/

Comment

After a very restless night ...Joan you got me thinking. Maybe too many pins caused my problem. I have read that you should pin every 4 inches? Of course I thought a few extra would not hurt!

Comment

I tape mine down along all of the edges (to the floor, as I don't have a table that big). Then spray baste the bottom to the batting, then spray baste the top to the batting. Once all is spray basted (probably with way too much, since it takes an entire can), I also pin in every square (have only done D9P). I think the spray basting is terribly expensive and want to try Elmer's glue basting on my next one. I read about that online and supposedly it works as well as spray basting, is much less expensive, and washes out very well.

How to Baste Your Quilt using Elmer's Glue
                            Last edited by ozziepuppy; January 19, 2014, 03:29 PM.

sigpic
                            Marci

Comment

I pin baste as I don't like the spray. But I only put pins about my hand width apart, so between 4 and 5 inches. I probably only had 50 to 60 in the queen quilt I did. I would say 500 is a bit much, also don;t stretch taut should not be like a trampoline. Remeber starting in the enter lets you work things out to the edge as you go.
                              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                              Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                              X