X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snowbird
    replied
    Re: How much yardage for bias binding?

Your question made me pull out my book about binding finishes and it states (are you ready for this?) to take a string and lay it all around the scalloped edges of the quilt then add an additional 10" to the final measurement to get the total bias requried. Who would have thought? Now, I'm curious when this book was published...

Leave a comment:

• ilive2craft2
    replied

My Robert Kaufmann app figures binding - I assumed 43 inch WOF for your 68 inch square quilt:

Regular Bias
    Total Binding Length 272 272
    Number of Strips or Square Size 7 28
    Yardage needed 1/2 1/2
    This does not take into calculation any scallops. Hope it helps!

Leave a comment:

• Loonwatcher
    replied

Thanks for the tips. Barb, the link to MCalls wouldn't load for me. I like the tip about contrasting thread.

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

I recently scalloped a Dresden Plate that was 88" square. I used 38 inches and that made way more than I needed. I think I got 15 or 16 yards. I don't mind having extra binding on hand. There is a wonderful tutorial on cutting and sewing bias binding at www.McCalls.com.

Nancy, use a contrasting thread in your bobbin so you can see exactly how far to wrap the binding to the back. I didn't think to do that and it was difficult. Contrasting thread would have made all the difference. Good Luck...it's really not hard, just a little more time consuming but the end result is so worth it!!
    Last edited by Bubby; January 18, 2014, 02:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• auntiemern
    replied

Jenny has a tut, that will give you 200" of bias binding from 1/2 yd of fabric. Look in Karen's user notes for it. It really is cool. Based on your measurements a yd should do it.

Leave a comment:

• Loonwatcher
    started a topic How much yardage for bias binding?

How much yardage for bias binding?

Is there a formula to figure how much yardage you need if making bias binding for a scalloped edge. My quilt will be 68" square and I use a 2 1/4" wide binding strip. I know how to figure it for a regular square binding (I need 280" or 1/2 yard) but I'm stumped when it comes to figuring for for a bias binding. Also, do I need to add extra inches because I'm doing a scalloped edge? First scalloped edge, can you tell!
Working...
X