quilting bar question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilting bar question

I bought a quilting bar for my BabyLock and it works fine, when I am guiding off stitching lines to the right of my walking foot. I would find it much more convenient (and easier with my limited eyesight) to guide off stitches to the left side. Does anyone have experience with such a quilting bar? If I can not find a bar that works I will have to have my DH construct one for me and the Good Lord only knows how long that will take.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Re: quilting bar question

I just bought one for my Babylock too( well a couple of months ago lol) I haven't opened it yet. I thought it could go to either side. And you can't?
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Mine can go off either side. Check again, I bet yours can too. The hole goes straight through so you can adjust the space so just put it in the other way.
      Cil
      A quilt is a blanket of love
      http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
      http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

I honestly thought this was going to involve alcohol........

I have one of these, but have never used it. Perhaps one day.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

My Bernina has 2 bars, one for the left and one for the right side. I'm like you, I prefer to sew from the left. My other machines only have the bar for the right side, so I do as Cil suggested and insert it on left side. It will be upside down, but it doesn't really matter as it is still adjustable and will give you a guide.

Comment

Thanks quilters, I will have to try again. Mine went on from both sides but the angle was screwy an the quilt would get caught when on the left side, I will try again and just adjust the angle see if that works. I see on their website they make 2 different styles of quilting bars, maybe I'll have to try the other style.
            Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

With my Brother machine you can put the quilting bar in either side of the walking foot, I haven't looked yet with the normal part of my machine, but I am assuming it would the the same since it's just a small opening that the metal bar slides into.

Comment

It will go in either side, but if you put it on of the left, it is backwards. It just isn't made to be used from the left.
                Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                I just bought one for my Babylock too( well a couple of months ago lol) I haven't opened it yet. I thought it could go to either side. And you can't?
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

Here's pic of using the bar on the left side. Yes, it's upside down, but if you tilt it up off the quilt, it will work in a pinch.
                  Quilting Bar Attachment | Pink Chalk Studio

The problem with using a quilting bar is this: If you get off by a little on sewing a straight line, each line after that will also be off, etc. etc. That's why I like using my long ruler and a chalk roller, either Chaco or Dritz.
                  Last edited by Sharyn J; January 18, 2014, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharyn J View Post
                    The problem with using a quilting bar is this: If you get off by a little on sewing a straight line, each line after that will also be off, etc. etc. That's why I like using my long ruler and a chalk roller, either Chaco or Dritz.
                    Totally agree! This has happened to me. I have a little white plastic thing, can't remember what it is called, but I can make a crease in my quilt top with it and just quilt on top of that crease.

Here's what my bar looks like and it can be used on either side without problems - I have done it several times. Well, I should say almost no problems - see Sharons post above! Even Feed Sewing Machine Walking Presser Foot Quilt Guide Babylock Baby Lock | eBay
                    Vonnie

Comment

Just remembered what the white thingy is called, a Hera Marking Tool: CLOVER HERA MARKER - Marking Tools - Supplies - Nancy's Notions
                      Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                        I honestly thought this was going to involve alcohol........

I have one of these, but have never used it. Perhaps one day.
                        I'll take a margarita!
                        Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley View Post
                          I'll take a margarita!
                          Make it a strawberry margarita and I'll join you!
                          Vonnie

Comment

Working...
                          X