First quilt all by myself! Question on backing fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First quilt all by myself! Question on backing fabric

I just finished the top for a baby quilt. I am using flannel for the back. Is it necessary to wash the flannel before sewing? My first quilt, done in a class, also had a flannel back, and my instructor did not have me wash beforehand. So, I'm not sure what to do. By the way, the flannel piece is only about 1 inch wider than the quilt top. I have more flannel but I was trying not to have to piece the back. I really don't want to mess this up! Thank you so much. I really appreciate the help.

Re: First quilt all by myself! Question on backing fabric

I always wash flannel before using because it seems to shrink quite a bit more than regular quilting fabrics. If you're flannel piece is only 1" bigger than the top, I would be concerned it would be too small after washing though!
    Lori

Comment

I've never used flannel. It's too hot down here in Texas. I have heard over and over again that flannel shrinks more than regular cotton. How did your first quilt turn out after washing?

Comment

Definitely wash the flannel first. Shrinkage percentage will depend on the quality of the flannel, but it's going to shrink! I think you will need to add a piece to the backing as 1" overage is just not enough. May I suggest that you fold your flannel, lengthwise from selvage to selvage, and then another fold; serge or zig zag the top and bottom edges and then wash and dry. The secured sewn edges will help to keep the flannel from fraying and twisting all out of shape, which will then require you to square up again, thus loosing even more useable fabric. You'll need to square up again anyway, but it helps.

Comment

Working...
        X