X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kateskloset
    replied
    Re: What is a civil war quilt?

I am very proud of my dad. He and my step mom quilt together all the time. I feel like it keeps him young and even living longer.
    That is so awesome that they do that together!

Leave a comment:

• Sew Perfect
    replied

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Hmmmmmmmm, is you dad also in Kansas? Is your Mom a quilt appraiser? Does your Dad sometimes travel and speak about his quilting and the Civil War quilts????????????? Inquiring minds NEED to know.
    Hi Sandy,

No, my dad does not speak about his quilts, nor is he an expert. It just seams that he loves making Civil War quilts and reads the books. His most recent Civil War quilt is "Shiloh", winning a 3rd prize ribbon at a small guild show, and the one before that is a 1800's reproduction of "Broken Star". If you want to see that picture, I will post it, but I thought just the one was fine. He and my step mom like to visit the battlefields, as history is one of their interest. They're into all of that genealogy stuff. My Dad does NOT live in Kansas, however, he is from Kansas.

I am very proud of my dad. He and my step mom quilt together all the time. I feel like it keeps him young and even living longer.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

Originally posted by Sew Perfect View Post
    I don't know about rules, but I do know they are made with Civil War fabrics. Here is my dad with the Civil War quilt her made. He won a 1st place ribbon and Best of Show with this quilt.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]65655[/ATTACH] This quilt is called The Battle of Antietam. He used Civil War Fabrics and even added some Christmas Fabric. Here is a link to the story of this battle: The Battle of Antietam Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org

Hmmmmmmmm, is you dad also in Kansas? Is your Mom a quilt appraiser? Does your Dad sometimes travel and speak about his quilting and the Civil War quilts????????????? Inquiring minds NEED to know.

Leave a comment:

• Quiltlover
    replied

After reading your question about Civil War quilts, I want to add my answer which isn't anything but my opinion. HA There are historical quilts from that era, that have survived in either someone's home or are in museums, etc. To me, Civil War quilts now are made with reproduction fabrics that are dyed with similar colors that were popular at that time, often using patterns from that time. Some of them are quite simple and others more complex with the tiny pieces you mention.
    Notice that those colors are wonderful....to me...and some of the old fashioned blocks like churn dash and shoo fly are very easy to make. Just find some repro fabric that you love and go for it. Don't wait until you are an "expert" quilter. Some of my old quilts have really large simple blocks and seams don't match and fabrics are substituted when they ran out of some. Quilting isn't perfect, but they are just grand. I have one that is almost in pieces but I want to copy it because the colors are just gorgeous with huge spool blocks. If you like quilts from that era, go for it. Choose a simpler block and get to sewing!

Leave a comment:

• HandsomeRyan
    replied

Here is the thread about the Underground Railroad (Civil War) Sampler quilt that my wife and I are working on.
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/gen...-complete.html

It has been very educational to make all the different blocks.

Some of them are challenging though, like the 6" block that is made of 72 individual pieces of fabric:
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...ers-wheel.html

Leave a comment:

• bhaggerty
    replied

Great quilt above!

Oh how I love Civil War quilts and the reproduction fabrics!
    There was an absolutely AMAZING quilt shop that specialized only in Civil War fabrics and patterns in Marion, Ohio called "The Good Wives Quilt Company" that unfortunately is closing this month.
    Was home over Thanksgiving (Ohio) and shopped there with my mom and Shirley (aka Buckeye Quilter) and we all stocked up as they were marking things way down. Fun shopping spree, but so sad they had to close.

Leave a comment:

• Simply Quilting
    replied

Originally posted by Sew Perfect View Post
    I don't know about rules, but I do know they are made with Civil War fabrics. Here is my dad with the Civil War quilt her made. He won a 1st place ribbon and Best of Show with this quilt.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]65655[/ATTACH] This quilt is called The Battle of Antietam. He used Civil War Fabrics and even added some Christmas Fabric. Here is a link to the story of this battle: The Battle of Antietam Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org
    That is a beautiful quilt. He did an awesome job. So glad his work was recognized.

Leave a comment:

• Kateskloset
    replied

That is Gorgeous!

Leave a comment:

• Sew Perfect
    replied

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I get confused by these because I thought I saw there were certain rules. Is that true?
    71982_1389688954215_1591853653_30878965_7309683_n.jpg This quilt is called The Battle of Antietam. He used Civil War Fabrics and even added some Christmas Fabric. Here is a link to the story of this battle: The Battle of Antietam Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org

Leave a comment:

• Kateskloset
    replied

I would love to make one...when I get a few more quilts under my belt. They are beautiful and all seem like they have teeny tiny pieces to the blocks. Aahhhh...one day!

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

I get confused by these because I thought I saw there were certain rules. Is that true?

Leave a comment:

• Quiltfreestyle
    replied

I would consider it a quilt made with reproduction fabrics with traditional blocks. Log cabin, shoo fly, monkey wrench, 9 patch etc. if you go to the library you could probably find books that show originals from the period. I've seen lots of books from museums that show them. I bet you could google quilt museums and find some too.
    Are you planning a civil war quilt?

Leave a comment:

• Sew Perfect
    replied

Here are some examples of Civil War Quilts: Red Crinoline Quilts, Bonnie Blue 1800s Reproduction Quilts
    Here is one I made by Civil War Legacies http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...ar-fabric.html And here is another Civil War quilt site:
    Civil War Legacies- Click on quilt title to see full story.

Leave a comment:

• Kateskloset
    started a topic What is a civil war quilt?

What is a civil war quilt?

As a new quilter, tell me what is a civil war quilt?
Working...
X