• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lyric
    The Guild President
    • Dec 2013

Tote Bag w/Sections

Hello lovely quilters,

I have volunteered myself to make a tote bag for a girlfriend (after seeing the wonderful tut that Jenny uploaded). She would like the inside to have a divider down the middle so she'll have two sections. I know in my head this is easey peasey, but I am a pattern/instruction girl.

I've been scouring the 'net for sewing patterns to make the tote (actually was thinking of doing the tote at the M*QS tutorial that I saw Jenny teach); however, most totes I am seeing are one open area; i.e., no sections.

Can someone please guide me on how to make a zippered lined tote, with inside pocket (for cell phone, gum or whatever, with a middle divider? Actually it's the lining part that I need help with don't 'cha know.

Thanks gals and guys.

Cheers,

Lyric
    Last edited by lyric; January 13, 2014, 11:16 AM.
    sigpic

http://www.sewlyricallyvintage.wordpress.com

"Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!" ~ Angel Bear
  • Vonnie
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2013

Re: Tote Bag w/Sections

Here are the free mini classes from Craftsy. Two of them are on tote/bag making.

Check out all of Craftsy's FREE Mini-Classes Right Here!

See if any of these will do.
    Vonnie

Comment

• Vonnie
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2013

Here's another tutorial: Sew a Tote Bag with a Recessed Zipper - Free Pattern and Directions to Make a Bag Perfect for a Weekend Get Away

Some youtube tutorials: https://www.google.com/#q=youtube+zipper+tote

I'm terrible at zippers so haven't tried one yet.
      Vonnie

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2012

I made a YouTube tutorial about making a zippered tote (see my user notes for the link) but I would have to think about how to do the divider. That woud require some sewing machine gymnastics, unless you did it like some camera cases are made, with velcro tabs holding it in place. Let me work on that idea to see if I can come up with an easy way to do this.

Comment

• buckeyequilter
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2012

I used the you tube from Jean, from the forum, for installing a zipper. I just used a rectangle of fabric and sewed it to the backing. Then just sewed lines for dividers...the last one I made has a place for a pen and 2 larger pockets.

There are 5 videos in the series from Jean, here is the first one and the others should be listed on you tube:
          1. Making a Charming Tote / Purse with zipper Part 1 - YouTube

Edited: I thought you were asking about a pocket but I reread it and you're asking about a divider in the middle of the tote. Don't know about that, haven't made one of those.
          Last edited by buckeyequilter; January 13, 2014, 11:57 AM.
          Shirley aka buckeyequilter
          I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

• Hulamoon
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2012

I can picture how to do the divider in my head, but I don't know how well I can explain it. lol I'll leave the tute to Jean
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by buckeyequilter View Post
              I used the you tube from Jean, from the forum, for installing a zipper. I just used a rectangle of fabric and sewed it to the backing. Then just sewed lines for dividers...the last one I made has a place for a pen and 2 larger pockets.

There are 5 videos in the series from Jean, here is the first one and the others should be listed on you tube:
              1. Making a Charming Tote / Purse with zipper Part 1 - YouTube

Edited: I thought you were asking about a pocket but I reread it and you're asking about a divider in the middle of the tote. Don't know about that, haven't made one of those.
              Thanks for posting the link, Shirley. Did you make a divider across the bottom of the bag from side to side or front to back? Side to side would be a cinch, front to back would be a challenge. I'm not sure which way she wants it divided.

Side to side, you would just sew in a doubled piece of lining when you sew in the side seams, then box the corners, then sew the divider in when you sew the bottom. It would be a little tricky where the corners are sewn together. Across from front to back, that would be a totally different process, I'd have to think on that for a while.

Comment

• buckeyequilter
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2012

I haven't tried a divider....just a pocket that I divided by sewing a straight seam. Let me know if you get it figured out. The only thing I could find is a PDF file on the Sew Mama Sew site but that is for the "side to side" divider.

Here is the link for the pattern on Sew Mama Sew:
                Free Amy Butler Pattern ~ Blossom Handbag/Shoulder Bag | Sew Mama Sew |

Comment

• Hulamoon
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                  Thanks for posting the link, Shirley. Did you make a divider across the bottom of the bag from side to side or front to back? Side to side would be a cinch, front to back would be a challenge. I'm not sure which way she wants it divided.

Side to side, you would just sew in a doubled piece of lining when you sew in the side seams, then box the corners, then sew the divider in when you sew the bottom. It would be a little tricky where the corners are sewn together. Across from front to back, that would be a totally different process, I'd have to think on that for a while.
                  That's what I was thinking. You said it well.
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

• buckeyequilter
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2012

Good luck with this. I will be watching to see what Jean comes up with

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jan 2012

I love that pattern! Looks like a winner, so I'm not going to reinvent the wheel.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2012

Thanks for the link Shirley, I think I might have that in my collection. I haven't gone through it in awhile.
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Sharyn J
                          Missouri Star
                          • Oct 2012

IMG_0554 (800x600).jpg

Jean's tutorial on Youtube is excellent for you to learn zipper enclosure for the tote. After you have your zipper sections and lining sections sewn together, and BEFORE you place the lining inside the tote, make a divider pocket.

For inside divided pocket: Make it any size you like, but approximately 9"-10" wide X 5"-6" deep finished. You can take 2 pieces of fabric and sew 3 sides, leaving one long side open. Turn right side out and press. Turn up 1/2" on the bottom edge. (the back of pocket).

Pin the divider a few inches down from the zipper and pin in place onto the lining. Sew the divider onto the lining close to the edges on each side and the bottom, back stitching at the top of each seam to make it more secure. Then go back and sew a divider seam down the middle or more sections if you like. It's easy!

oops, sorry, I didn't realize you meant a divider rather than a simple pocket!
                          Last edited by Sharyn J; January 13, 2014, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• buckeyequilter
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                            I love that pattern! Looks like a winner, so I'm not going to reinvent the wheel.
                            Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                            Thanks for the link Shirley, I think I might have that in my collection. I haven't gone through it in awhile.
                            I really like that purse and think I might try to make one for myself.

Comment

• auntiemern
                              Missouri Star
                              • Mar 2012

Actually dividing it wouldn't be that hard. You just have to make the liner in 6 pieces, instead of 2. Decide how big you are going to make the gusset (or bottom). Then cut your fabric as tall as you want it by the width and add a 1/2". Add half inch to your liner sides, then cut those in half. Take the divider right sides together and sew a 1/4" seam on the top. Iron with right sides out. Now take the side of your divider and sandwich it between the two pieces of one side of your liner. The bottom will be sewn into the bottom when you sew that. Repeat on the other side. As far as pockets, all you have to do is sew 2 pieces of fabric together the size you want your pocket right sides together, leaving an opening to turn. Attach to liner with the opened side anywhere but the top. Top stitch in place, thus closing the opening, and leaving the top open. Voila, you have a pocket. Proceed with bag instruction as you want.
                              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X