Jelly Roll using the binding tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jelly Roll using the binding tool

I can not, for the life of me, get my head around this. I am wanting to make a Friendship Braid quilt using jelly rolls and the binding tool. I want to make it a queen size with a three inch border. How do I figure out how many jelly rolls I need. I will not be using sashing. I am stumped so any help will be appreciated!

Re: Jelly Roll using the binding tool

I'm pretty sure 4 jelly rolls should do it. Did some math as follows: For a generous size queen quilt with 16" drop on 3 sides:
    40 jelly roll strips times 2" (this excludes seam allowances) = 80"
    80"x 39.5" (WOF excluding selvage) = 3,160 sq. in.
    92" x 96" = 8,832 sq. in. (size of a generous queen quilt that includes 16" drop on 3 sides)
    Dividing 8,832 sq. in. (quilt size) by 3,160 sq. in. (jelly roll size) = 2.79 which rounds up to 3 jelly rolls

I'm pretty sure this is right based on a queen size mattress that measures 60" wide x 80" long
    (I had my math genius husband double-check my figures)

3 jelly rolls would do it but that's cutting it really close. If it was me I'd buy 4.

My calculations only include a drop length on three sides of the bed. If you're planning to tuck the pillows under the quilt you should probably get 5 jelly rolls.

I have learned the hard way that it is better to have too much than not enough.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; April 18, 2011, 04:00 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Don't forget that you'll need a minimum of 7 strips for your binding also.
      Linda L Maurer, Peach Bottom, PA

http://gardenquilting.blogspot.com/

Only a Quilter has a welcome mat at the door to her home and an
      "Enter at Your Own Risk" sign on the door of her sewing room (by Tom and Madge Powis)

Comment

OOO...sounds beautiful. I've been very interested in the friendship braid too. Can't wait to see pictures of your quilt when you get it done.
        ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I have a jelly roll set aside to do one too. Just got the binding tool so i'm good to go as soon as i can finish up some current projects.
          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I've actually already made a smaller lap size (just started sewing, no measuring) friendship braid quilt using the binding tool but just couldn't think of how to make a queen size! It's a very easy quilt and ends up beautiful. The binding tool makes it a breeze! I'll post pics as soon as I have all the sashing and border done on the lap quilt. Thanks rebecca-sewing for your help. I guess I was up too late trying to figure it all out. I REALLY appreciate your help!

Comment

Glad to help! Now, I just need to write down what I told you and add it to my reference. It would be nice not to have to figure it out again if I ever get around to making that large a quilt! Good luck with your project. Please post when it's finished. As to Linda's comment regarding the binding, if you decide to do the binding with the jellyroll strips I would definitely get 5 jellyrolls.
              Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Working...
              X