Desperate !!! Need help PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desperate !!! Need help PLEASE

As I posted previously I have a 3 week old Janome 6600! It was an expensive purchase my husband made for me and way over our budget!!!!! I have been trying to topstitch a denim rag quilt with Wonderfil Accent thread on top and Guiterman cotton in the bobbin as per the dealers recommendation. The thread keeps shredding and breaking and I have rethreaded-changed needles-changed bobbins-cleaned out lint all to no avail. I even resorted to turning the needle manually over the seams. Took it back to the dealer with my thread and fabric sample and she stitched on it with no problem. She said my thread was not feeding properly so I bought a net and returned home. Tried to stitch a block and same problem happened.I threaded my old Kenmoe and it worked fine..Back I went they had the machine for a week called and said they made a minor adjustment and that they had all stitched on it with no problem! Dumbo that I am ( I should have tested it out again in the store but didn't) Came home and it worked ok for 1 block but then Darn crap the thread is still breaking!!!!! At this moment I am feeling heartsick! I am sure they think I am nuts and I feel stupid calling them again. It was so expensive and I do not know what to do now!...Val

Re: Desperate !!! Need help PLEASE

Ok, don't panic. My uncle is a Janome dealer in Illinois. I'll copy and past your post in an e-mail to him and see if he has any suggestions. I hope this is ok.

Comment

they say you should always use the same thread in the bobbin..was your dealer doing that
      Patrice

Comment

I would be so grateful for any help as I AM PANICKING!!! Va

Comment

I had the same problem when I was sewing through some thick canvas and it turned out that I was using the wrong needle. It seemed odd that the needle would make the thread break but when I swapped to a really heavy duty needle it worked straight away.

Since you're sewing through denim you may need a really sturdy needle. It's worth a try!
          Quilting through the dull times
          northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

I second a needle change. get a denim needle or a topstitch needle. I frustrate myself every so often because i usually use a "universal" needle which is fine for most sewing. I start sewing multiple layers or a heavier fabric and then have stitch or thread issues.
            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

you need a larger needle with a bigger hole They make a denium needle. Also if the bobbin thread is to heavy it may cause problems I have found to use a regular thread on the bobbin works better with my Janome. Also check you tention it may be to tight. hang in there this is just a matter of finding the right balance.

Comment

The bigger needle is a great suggestion, but always remember to thread your machine with the presser foot up. This opens your tension disks and that is what helps to feed your thread properly when sewing. Keep us updated on how you are doing. It is so frustrating when things aren't going well, especially with a new and expensive machine. Stay calm, it will all work out.
                :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am using a Schmetz topstitch needle 100/16 and the thread is Wonderfil Accent thread and the bobbin thread is cotton NE 50 thread. I have a denim needle but the hole in it is smaller and the topstitch thread does not feed through it as easily. I am too exhausted to try any more tonite but will go at it again in the morning. Thanks..Val

Comment

I would think the dealer would have had you sew on the problem block before you left.

If you spent that much money, then I'd take a deep breath, call them up, and go in with your machine and project in hand. Bring a small notebook and camera so you can take notes and add in pics later. As long as you call ahead so they can have somebody there to help you, it shouldn't be a problem. If you just drop in and and are all in a tizzy, they may not be able to help you right then and you may forget to ask all of your questions. Most of the dealers I have met are more than willing to help you figure out what is wrong.
                    Good luck!
                    Be who you are and say what you feel
                    because those who mind don't matter,
                    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Cathy I was thinking the same thing. She should sew with the dealer watching to see what the problem is. Inspired you should take a block and thread the machine in front of them and sew with the needle you have been using and the thread you have been using. Maybe then they will be able to tell you if its the thread, the needle, the machine or you. Didn't they give you some lessons when you bought the machine? You may be missing one step in the sequence of threading or the needle or the thread itself. I bet it's a combination of things. When ever you take it in, they are using the right stuff and it sews perfect. Check it out like Cathy said to. Hugs, Jan L
                      P.S. write your questions down so you don't forget to ask them. Bye for now and good luck!
                      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Hi All; Thanks for all the tips. I got up early this morning (had a very restless night) and started to sew again on my new Janome. One half of a block done and the thread broke again. I was furious and made the decision that it was going back to the dealer with me and my quilt blocks first thing Monday morning! I unthreaded it and started sewing on my old Kenmore with no problems whatsoever. OK then ....this new machine hates me and now I hate it!!!!!! After I completed all my blocks I thought I would give it another chance with a sample block. Would you believe this!!! It sewed perfectly purring like a kitten. GO FIGURE!! I do believe that someone was praying for me and it worked. I am still a little skeptical and will try again tomorrow morning in case I am still in a dream! Thanks...Val

Comment

glad it's going better for you.
                          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Originally posted by Lola2Ace View Post
                            The bigger needle is a great suggestion, but always remember to thread your machine with the presser foot up. This opens your tension disks and that is what helps to feed your thread properly when sewing. Keep us updated on how you are doing. It is so frustrating when things aren't going well, especially with a new and expensive machine. Stay calm, it will all work out.
                            I work in a quilt store and I agree with this post, use a larger needle an 80 or 90. Our first trouble shooting suggestion is always the needle
                            :icon_wave: Sunny

Blog: www.threesmallfryprimitives.blogspot.com

Facebook: Threesmallfry Primitives

Comment

Be sure you are threading your machine with the presser foot in the up position. I had the same problem and didn't realize it would make a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X