Baby blanket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby blanket

I'm having a total fail with the self-binding baby blanket. I can't get the corners right. Here's what I keep ending up with: photo.JPG It looks like a box. . . . HELP!

Re: Baby blanket

Cute box though - love your colors. Having done so many of these (see my albums for a few of the pics), I can only say I watched the videos 3-4 times and then stopped the video at the miter instruction and started to sew and kept looking back at it. Also I don't cut my "bunny ears" off until I pull it right side out to be sure I have it right. I'm so OCD I pull out one bunny ear and check it and then do the next one. It is all in the details so pay attention to where Jenny places her ruler in relation to the rest of the fabric as she gets ready to miter. Once you get it figured out you will love making these and people will love getting them.

Comment

I think I've watched the video 10 times at this point. I'm afraid to proceed because I don't want to waste my material. SIGH . . . I can't wait to figure it out because I have BIG plans for the completed blankets. I love to cross stitch so I dream of doing some personalization on these.

Comment

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/how...tml#post411172
        here is a link to my tute on doing the corners of the baby blankets. hope it helps
        Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

I'm getting there! One was another try that failed, but I was able to miter the corners and fold over the edges an make it look like it had binding. The second one was successful! Now if I can just get down the cutting. I've never been able to cut straight lines. Even with a ruler. LOL!
          Attached Files

Comment

Yep, I made a box...nuff said
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
              Yep, I made a box...nuff said
              Oh my word, I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt.
              I wasn't laughing at you as such, but the way you said it.

Who knows, maybe you can start a new trend.....BABY BOXES
              Sometimes I wake up Grumpy!
              Other times I just let HIM sleep.

Lynn

Comment

• bubba
                bubba commented
                Editing a comment
                When I made a baby box, my sister nearly died laughing. She still brings it up several years later and laughs just as hard now!

I also love the baby box! Agree about starting a trend. I also have to watch the video multiple times, plus stopping and starting, to keep me assured. Tricky spots for me... remembering to line up half way/middle points in the beginning, corner line ups to sew, then cutting off. You will get it, just try again. I always keep a few of these with my baby stuff for gifts. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Doloris View Post
                http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/how...tml#post411172
                here is a link to my tute on doing the corners of the baby blankets. hope it helps
                That was a great thread. I forgot about it.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

baby.jpg
                  my box of self BBB's ready for sewing. I have been matching and cutting some SBBB's so when I sit down to sew I don't have to keep stopping to cut more. Didn't count , but there are 25-30 in the tub and about 10 or 12 more matched and waiting to be cut and added to the pile. I try to donate 10 per month to my local children's hosp. There is probably that much more fleece and fabrics in the closet waiting to be matched. J's had an incredible sale on fleece black Friday. Fleece was 2.99 and remnants were 75% off. I always get the fleece in the remnants bin, making it about 75cents a yard.
                  Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

I am going to make a sample of this using a sharpy pen on the fabric showing measuring points and cutting points.
                    I am a show n tell kinda gal. Forget about reading a book and then doing it.....just SHOW me.
                    Sometimes I wake up Grumpy!
                    Other times I just let HIM sleep.

Lynn

Comment

I have to watch video every time I make one. I also check before cutting of bunny ears.
                      Sherry

Comment

That is why I always recommend buying a baby blanket rather than making it home. A huge collection is available in the market.

Comment

😊I was looking for a dog bed pattern - that would do itπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰ Seriously I hope you find a solution - pretty fabric

Last edited by sewUK; July 1, 2020, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momma_b View Post

I think I've watched the video 10 times at this point. I'm afraid to proceed because I don't want to waste my material. SIGH . . . I can't wait to figure it out because I have BIG plans for the completed blankets. I love to cross stitch so I dream of doing some personalization on these.
                            Baste the corners in, turn to check they are correct then got back and re-sew. You want a 45 degree angle. Dolores' video is helpful. I ve been sewing forever yet the first time I made one I had dog ears.
                            β€œWhat we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Working...
                            X