Its like Rocket Science..SERIOUSLY!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its like Rocket Science..SERIOUSLY!!!

Okay, so I dont have any friends or family that sew..I am the first! This means that unfortunately I am self taught, or self learning...either way! I dont have access to a class yet because I have two little ones Im home with all day!

I learned the hard way that precision is key when it comes to sewing and quilting! I think I am getting much better, but it takes forever for me to get my measurements right. I am praying that this is just because I am new! (not because I am HORRIBLE AT MATH!!)

I also cant sew a STRAIGHT 1/4" seam to save my life..SERIOUSLY. I wish I would've gotten a warning that sewing is comparable to rocket science! I bought the tape from q-tools and that hasnt helped either, My 1/4" mark lies between the feed dogs on my machine..so Im at a loss with what to do! Is this something that will come with practice? I am getting extremely disheartened with ripping out seams constantly and starting over! Its really making me want to quit!!

Any help or advice will be much appreciated!

Thanks-
    Kim
    My husband lets me have all the fabric I can hide

Re: Its like Rocket Science..SERIOUSLY!!!

Buy a quarter inch presser foot to help you guide the material.

Comment

Mostly it's practice! some people swear by a 1/4" foot, some have a little piece you bump the fabric up against. Others use a stack of post-its to guide them. but mostly it just takes practice. Other hints i've heard:

don't watch the needle, watch the fabric as you guide it to the needle.

find a speed your comfortable with and put a block or book under the edge of your foot control so you can't speed.
      Above all, don't get discouraged. many of us on here have been sewing for years and we still struggle with some things. we're all still learning.
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I really want to try one of those 1/4" presser feet too, but for now I have learned it doesn't always have to be perfect and we are much harder on ourselves than anyone else And don't forget to go slow.
        To quilt or not to quilt?.....what a ridiculous question!
        Check out all things quilty at my blog here: http://www.sassyquilter.com

Comment

I was watching a quilting show and this lady said she cut her fabric a little off to give it an antique look.....tooooo funny I didn't know that was what I was doing all along. LOL!
          To quilt or not to quilt?.....what a ridiculous question!
          Check out all things quilty at my blog here: http://www.sassyquilter.com

Comment

Hi, I too am self taught, don't have any one in family who sews, and it is hard going. The MSQC videos beginners are great.
            I highly recommend that you view them. Jenny is a helpful instructor.
            :icon_wave: Regards from Milliee - Have a great day! :icon_happy:

Comment

I've been wanting to try one of the wavy designs but not sure I could get the edges to match up. So just tell yourself that you are adding a design feature to your work.

Comment

Hello Kim - and welcome! We surely don't want you getting discouraged.
                I use a piece of black electric tape - but maybe you'd want to use a piece of blue painters tape. The black electric tape can leave a residue on your machine.
                Anyways, try this. Take your blue painters tape and cut off a piece about 3" long. Put that on your machine where the edge of your fabric would butt up against it. Now, put 2 pieces of scrap material in your machine and put your needle down like you are going to start sewing a seam. Sew a little bit. Take the fabric off and measure from where the seam runs to the edge of the fabric. That's what you want as 1/4". So, if your seam is too big, move the fabric over a little and your painters tape and keep doing that until you get it right. When you get it right, that will be where you always want your fabric edge to butt up against.
                I hope this made sense to help you out.

Oh, and when you get to the end of a seam, the fabric wants to do its own thing and turn inwards unless you pay close attention and try to hold it straight - some people use a stiletto or even maybe a pair of tweezers would work.

Hugs,
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I'd also suggest getting some scrap fabric and just practicing until you get the coordination down. There's nothing worse than constantly having to rip things out. Hopefully, you are starting out with some really simple sewing projects before tackling quilts. I definitely didn't start out making quilts when I first learned to sew. If you start out with something too difficult you will definitely be frustrated and want to give up. If you just feel like you've got to make a quilt, there are some really cute quilts that are made with very little piecing involved. You might consider starting with something like that. I also think you need to invest in a 1/4" piecing foot. I'm an experienced seamstress and I would never attempt to make a quilt without this foot.
                  Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; April 11, 2011, 03:30 PM.
                  Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

a 1/4" presser foot is a great investment, you can also get a 1/4" foot with a guide. Check out your local sewing store.
                    :icon_wave: Sunny

Blog: www.threesmallfryprimitives.blogspot.com

Facebook: Threesmallfry Primitives

Comment

I too am pretty much self taught, and I love it. Put your big project aside for a few days and work on something small, table runners are my big thing right now. Everyone is getting them as gifts since I can get through them without crying finally. Then, after a week or two maybe you'll be ready to take on your big project again. Don't let it get you down, have some fun with it.

Comment

Great advice...... don't watch the needle....watch the fabric.
                        I have really struggled with my quarter inch seam also. AND I STILL DO. I have a 1/4 in foot...... but here's what helped me the most. The lines on a 3 x 5 card are exactly 1/4 inch apart. So if you put a card under your needle.... and sew an inch or two along the line nearest the edge.... that edge will be where your fabric should be for you to get a 1/4 inch seam. Then take a strip of blue (or black) tape and mark the exact place where your fabric should be. I hope that makes sense to you, honey. And as the others said... don't get discouraged. I called a good friend and whined about my seams and she said.... "just be consistent.... you want quarter inch but if all of your seams are consistent ... your quilt blocks will fit
                        together."
                        ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                        Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                        (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

I've been struggling with stitching in the ditch but my ditches need to be much wider for me to hit the middle LOL. I spent hours stitching ..... ripping out ....and re-stitching. It turned out okay but surely imperfect
                          ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                          Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                          (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

I have the 1/4" presser foot but having more than one machine means it doesn't fit the other...
                            I use a magnet from my fridge ( Housework s**** ) and the tapemeassurer and go slow...

Any magnet with a straight side will do.

Hugs from me
                            Last edited by Emmari; April 11, 2011, 04:34 PM.
                            Fabric purchases require no justification!
                            A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Comment

Can you move your needle position so your 1/4 inch is actually one of the lines? If not, another good thing to use as a bumper is
                              moleskin, it's thicker so your fabric runs right along it. You can find it in the foot product aisle at any of the stores and it's what I used until I learned about and could afford a 1/4 in foot. I just cut a strip of it and put it where my 1/4 inch needed to be.
                              :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Working...
                              X