Pinwheel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinwheel question

Everytime I make a pinwheel I get a big "Knot" in the middle where the points connect. How do I correct this? I'm new at making them.
    Angela:icon_bigsmile:

Re: Pinwheel question

It happens because of all the layers you have when you nest the seams. some people say to press the seams open instead of to one side.
    I always think "next time I'll press it open"- doesn't happen-old habits are hard to break
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Watch Jenny's video on pinwheels. Always press to the dark is Jenny's motto. If your fabrics aren't light and dark . . . pick one and always press to that one. Because of this, one side goes to the left and one to the right and it's not as bulky. Cut off the little extra that pushes up from the corners to end up with only the 1/4 inch seam. Much neater. At least it works for me.
      Linda L Maurer, Peach Bottom, PA

http://gardenquilting.blogspot.com/

Only a Quilter has a welcome mat at the door to her home and an
      "Enter at Your Own Risk" sign on the door of her sewing room (by Tom and Madge Powis)

Comment

Hi

I agree with LInda. I made a pinwheel quilt using Jenny's method, instead of the way I had learned years ago. I pressed only to the dark side and the centers laid perfectly flat! I was amazed! I showed the ladies at the quilts for kids meeting and they were equally impressed. Now they watch the videos here also!

Comment

You take out the stitches in the middle ,maybe two stitches.Open up press it flat,looke like a little pinwheel in the middle.Connie C

Comment

Thanks for the ideas ladies! I'm going to practice doing them now!
            Angela:icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Working...
            X