Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby quilt mistake!!! Should I fix it for the next one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby quilt mistake!!! Should I fix it for the next one?

Okay, my friend has an adorable little 3 year old and another one on the way. The 3 year old never got a baby quilt from me (Long story, but she lives a few hours away and no one knew she was pregnant). With the new baby on the way, I've decided to make them both baby quilts. I don't want here to feel left out. I designed them to be identical in every way except color. I even am doing the shared colors with the same fabric

I made hers first, and I'm very happy with it, except that I didn't follow the pattern very well...If you see where the purple squares make diagonal lines, they don't on mine. I sewed the blocks together late at night and I didn't want to possibly weaken the flannel by taking out the zig-zag stitching that I had put in. (I don't have any pictures of the actual quilt even though it is fully finished now, this is the design I worked from.)

Kerrigan.jpg

My big question, should I "fix" the mistake on the new baby's quilt? If I do, it will look nicer (not that the other one doesn't look nice), but it would also be a difference between them. The little girl picks up on patterns quickly, I know that she would notice the difference in one quilt's blocks all lined up diagonally and the other's didn't.

What do you guys think? Should I line them up for the new baby's quilt or let them scatter randomly the way that they do in the 3 year old's?

Re: Baby quilt mistake!!! Should I fix it for the next one?

If the little picks up on such little things, I think I would do the second quilt the same way I did the first.
    Linda L Maurer, Peach Bottom, PA

http://gardenquilting.blogspot.com/

Only a Quilter has a welcome mat at the door to her home and an
    "Enter at Your Own Risk" sign on the door of her sewing room (by Tom and Madge Powis)

Comment

I wouldn't do them the same. If she picks up on it - you just tell her that just like people are different, so are quilts and you made her's unique because she is.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I think you could go either way depending on if it prompt a melt down or not.

Comment

Someone told me that when Amish ladies make a quilt they often put a flaw in on purpose.. One heart on a heart block quilt may be upside down, for example. This is to show that only God is perfect. Maybe you can go with that explanation?
          Lin

Comment

I like Sandy's explanation and would definitely go with that one if the problem was mine. Way to go, Sandy!!!!
            Mary B.

Comment

That's a really tough one. I'm so neurotic I'd probably start over and make a new one for the baby the way the pattern was meant to be. (I'd save the first quilt to give to someone else.) I guess the big question is, do you like the way the baby's quilt turned out? If so, just make life easy and make hers the same. Then there's no problem and no need for explanations. If you haven't cut it out yet, what about a different pattern for hers, altogether? Good luck! Whatever you do, don't stress over it. Life is too short.
              Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Well you probably don't want to know what I would do. You see I think it is a really pretty pattern and I would rip out and fix it. That is just me. I have been know to take off a binding three times before I like the way it laid. In my sewing room I have my very first quit. It is a terrible mess but it was finished. I keep it to remind me how far I have come. If I see a mistake before it is quilted I always take the time to fix it, and you bet I try not to make the same mistake twice.

Comment

Okay, after reading over everything, I think that I'm just going to let the baby's pattern fall randomly the way that the 3 year old's did. Sibling rivalry can be a nasty thing, and she is already going to have to share mommy and daddy for the first time in her little life. Also, these quilts are going to get destroyed. They are going to be dragged over the floor, chewed on by babies and bunnies, and generally abused. Once they both get a little older (to the age where they can make color choices that wont change every ten minutes), I'm planning on letting them pick out colors and patterns for their own quilts for their beds. I'm happy with how the one looks, even if it didn't follow the pattern, and I'd rather have them match than risk her getting upset over it.

Now I am at my parent's house with the quilt, but my camera is at my apartment, so still no quilt pictures. Thank you for all of your help!

Comment

Working...
                  X