Question about Irons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Irons

Does anyone have or has anyone tried the Reliable V110 steam iron? Is it as good as it advertises? REALLY no spitting and no leaking?????? I am ....AGAIN....looking for a good steam iron. Need lots of steam, but NO dripping, no leaking, no spitting. I average 3-6 months of using an iron before it begins to drip and leak. So frustrating! Please if you have or have tried this iron....let me know! Thanks! SuzyQue

Re: Question about Irons

Sorry---typo---that is the Reliable V100 not 110! Sorry! SuzyQue

Comment

Are you using distilled water in your iron???? Just curious, I haven't needed to buy an iron in years, or at least since I moved from Arizona where the water was terrible.

Comment

I have this iron you are asking about. I love it!! It is worth the $139 I paid for it. No spitting, no leaking. Really. Last night I ironed a shirt for work with a Rowenta and realized how spolied I had become by the Reliable.
        Suzette

Comment

I have my original iron that I got when first married in the 70's. It, obviously, hadn't seen much use until I start quilting this year. It too spits, drips and even worse I think it's rusty inside because the water it spits out is brown.

Would love iron recommendations......but wasn't thinking I'd have to spend $139....YIKES! Any other recommendations?
          ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I have one of those oliso irons. There is a sensor in the handle that raises the iron off the ironing board when you turn it loose. You never have to turn it upon its end.. The steam is great,doesn't leak and I love it. I dropped it here while back and the smart touch thing quit working but for some odd reason it started working again. I was lucky enough my DH found this new one on ebay for $30.00 it normally goes for $160.00. I really like this iron alot. This one gets my vote!!

Comment

Any opinions about the cordless irons; like the Oreck?
              ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I too am looking for a new iron. I loved my Rowenta but alas every time I fill it up it leaks all over my ironing surface. I am going to the big spring sewing show here in Canada in two weeks. I noticed Eleanor Burns say she loves the Reliable Iron so I am leaning that way. I have not seen it anywhere here in canada though. Does anyone know where you can find it other than ebay. I live close to the border so Niagara falls ny would be fine. Does JoAnn's carry them?

Comment

Thanks for the input, gals. I have been through 2 Sharks and 2 Rowentas in the past 15 months! Luckily, all within warranty, so I trade them back for another type and try again. So frustrating!!!

Lana--No, I don't use distilled water...just tap water....but we are suppose to have really good water. Years ago, I did use distilled but all the instructions state not to now. I don't think it is the water, but who knows. I clean them and empty them per instructions, but I do use my irons hard!!! (do you use distilled water?????)

Suzette----how long have you had your Reliable? I won't mind paying the price if it truly won't leak or spit and will last more than a couple of years! I use to love Rowentas but they have really not held up well for years.....trust me I have tried!!!

Nancy---please don't use that rusty iron on your quilt blocks! YIKES! That scares me! Even if you can only afford a cheap iron and have to replace it often.......not all irons are that expensive!

RFree----I have never seen your iron. Must check it out online and study up on it. I never mind the sitting up of the iron, but when you think of it...it probably saves your wrist a lot of strain. Hmmm.....something to think about! What is the smart touch thing?

Nancy--again---my friend has an Oreck. The cordless part was nice, but I didn't think it steamed enough. I like a really steamy iron....hence ....the expensive brands. I definitely don't have to have an expensive one....if I could just find one that is reliable and steamy! I have considered an industrial one, but wow.....pricey! It might hold up to my usage, though.

SusieQ57---nice name!!!---seems to be a lot of us on here!----I just made a new ironing board pad and cover to match my sewing decor. My Rowenta spit and leaked and has already messed my cover. Not sure it it will wash out. HOPE so! URGH!!! Thanks for saying that about Eleanor Burns. If she loves the Reliable, that speaks volumes to me. I went online to their website and you can find where the closest dealer is to you...or you can order online with no shipping and handling. A local quilt shop is the only place in my state that carries it, so I will try there first....then order online if she is out. No, JoAnn's doesn't carry them......shucks! the coupons there would come in handy! I saw the ad originally in a quilting magazine and it had rave reviews online at their site. Hope you find one at your local spring sewing show. They have been around since 1955.....just never have heard of them before.

Thanks, ladies! SuzyQue

Comment

Suzy Q >>I am curious about where the spring sewing show is???...Val

Comment

Originally posted by Loonwatcher View Post
                      Any opinions about the cordless irons; like the Oreck?
                      Nancy I'm using my cordless/chargeable Oreck that I got when I bought my vacuum cleaner and I love it! It stays sitting right next to my pressing board in its charger so I can pick it right up and press full yardage free of any cords. I can also use it with the cord if I choose so it is always hot but it doesn't take but a few seconds to reheat when using it cordless. I will say that I do not use steam a whole lot but when I did use it I did not have any problems. I have been using Mary Ellen's Best Press with a dry iron and it really does a nice job!

FANBLADESPOINTSTITCHEDANDPRESSED2.jpg
                      Linda
                      -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Suzy Que,
                        I have had my iron for about 4 months. I did notice that Joann's had them online don't know about the stores.
                        Suzette

Comment

RFree----I have never seen your iron. Must check it out online and study up on it. I never mind the sitting up of the iron, but when you think of it...it probably saves your wrist a lot of strain. Hmmm.....something to think about! What is the smart touch thing?

SuzieQ. The smart touch thing is the sensor in the handle that lets these feet out when you turn it loose. That is what raises it up off your ironing surface. I learned about this iron watching the Fons and Porter show. I record every episode and watch them from time to time.
                          Hugs Rhonda

Comment

SuzyQue - I am using a 15 (at least maybe 20) year old Black and Decker that was cheap then. It NEVER spits or leaks. Best of luck.

Comment

I also have an oliso iron and I love it. I never have to put my iron up on end which was a problem with the cats jumped on the ironing board.

TONS of steam, no spitting or leaking, it's fabulous. You can iron over a rubber band and it won't melt it. Something to do with the plate or type of heat or something like that. It was awesome when they were demonstrating it at Costco.

I'd recomend that iron to anyone.

Heather
                              🍄 Heather🍄

Comment

Working...
                              X