Uneven rows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uneven rows

Ok, here's my problem. I am quilting a disappearing 9 patch. I am stitching rows across the patchwork part using a guide bar. I decided to see how it looked and spread it across the bed. Lo and behold, looking at the back part of the rows was shorter then the other even tho I started and ended in the same places. I took out part of them and started over and everything is going well. Has anyone ever had this problem?

Suzette
    Suzette

Re: Uneven rows

I havent tried the disappearing 9 patch yet....but I will be on the lookout for uneven rows when I do try it and maybe be able to catch it before it happens! Thanks for the heads up!!

Glad you were able to fix your rows!!!
    ~Mary
    As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Being that I am new to sewing in general...I have that problem with EVERYTHING! I have tried marking my 1/4 inch and drawing it on my fabric..I am just having the worst time! My 1/4 inch mark falls between my feed dogs which is part of the problem! Im not sure what the rest of the problem is, but I have been almost finished with a quilt top and noticed how uneven my rows lined up and about broke out into tears!!!
      My husband lets me have all the fabric I can hide

Comment

When sewing rows together, it's best to go one direction, one row and then go the other direction for the next row, and so on, so your quilts don't start smiling at you. Quilts get wows in them and then the rows end up shorter and shorter if you always sew in the same direction.
        I don't know if this understandable, but I can try to explain better.
        Not sure if this will help or not.
        :icon_wave: Sunny

Blog: www.threesmallfryprimitives.blogspot.com

Facebook: Threesmallfry Primitives

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnyok View Post
          When sewing rows together, it's best to go one direction, one row and then go the other direction for the next row, and so on, so your quilts don't start smiling at you. Quilts get wows in them and then the rows end up shorter and shorter if you always sew in the same direction.
          I don't know if this understandable, but I can try to explain better.
          Not sure if this will help or not.
          I have heard this before on a quilting show about not sewing all the rows in the same direction. Good Advice
          To quilt or not to quilt?.....what a ridiculous question!
          Check out all things quilty at my blog here: http://www.sassyquilter.com

Comment

Originally posted by sweetstkissez22 View Post
            My 1/4 inch mark falls between my feed dogs which is part of the problem!

I had the same 1/4" problem, so I moved my needle to the position farthest to the right & then measured 1/4" from there & marked it with a piece of elec. tape. That way I have fabric under both feed dogs when I sew the seams. So far, it works pretty well. I just have
            to make sure to use the correct presser foot.
            If at first you DO succeed, try not to look so surprised.

Comment

Working...
            X