Moda "Valentine Pennie Pocket" question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moda "Valentine Pennie Pocket" question

First, here is the link the the Moda Bakeshop project my question is in reference to: Moda Bake Shop: Valentine Pennie Pockets

I think I understand everything up through #14 and the picture below it. Basically just sewing the triangles inside out with the handle and point inside, leaving an opening and flipping it right side out.

What I do not understand is how it gets from the picture below #14 to #17. (Ignoring #15 and #16 which are just embellishments). It seems to me that what you'd end up with after #14 is just a triangle and not really a "cone" shape. It seems like the two "short sides" of the triangle need to be sewn together to make the cone but I don't see that in the instructions.

To:

What am I missing? Should I just start sewing and it will become obvious to me? Any help is appreciated as I'd like to make a couple of these to hang on peoples doors for Christmas. (maybe. ...if I can figure them out?)
    Loosely based on a true story.

re: Moda "Valentine Pennie Pocket" question

I would just do as it says and after it is turned I think it will straighten itself out. Give it a try and come back and post pics
    Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

I think you are looking at the whole triangle...keep in mind the top part of that is going to tuck inside the cone.
      Mary
      SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

I think you are right, after you sew the second time, and turn it, you will have a light bulb moment where you see that the way it's folded after the first sewing will create your cone pocket. Then you press. I should make one of these to be sure, but that is what it appears to me after studying this for a bit.

I've made these with paper before, never with fabric. What a cute way to give away treats!

Comment

Re: Moda "Valentine Pennie Pocket" question

It's a large triangle that after you turn in right side out you push one end back into the other and then you have a cone. Hard to explain but I think when you sew it you will see.

Comment

Thanks All! I think you've given me the needed "Eureka!" moment. I was imagining this as either bending it into a cone and sewing another seam or pushing one side into the other using the 90° corner. now understand that it is one of the corners along the long side being pushed into the other. Makes a lot more sense that way. I still don't think the tutorial is terribly clear about that but I'm glad to have such knowledgeable friends who can help me when I'm having a moment.

As a soon to be dad, am I allowed to claim "Baby brain" like my wife does?

Really looking forward to making some of these to go on the doorknobs of friends.

Comment

I agree the tute wasn't very clear. and yes you can claim baby brain
              Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Originally posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
                Thanks All! I think you've given me the needed "Eureka!" moment. I was imagining this as either bending it into a cone and sewing another seam or pushing one side into the other using the 90° corner. now understand that it is one of the corners along the long side being pushed into the other. Makes a lot more sense that way. I still don't think the tutorial is terribly clear about that but I'm glad to have such knowledgeable friends who can help me when I'm having a moment.

As a soon to be dad, am I allowed to claim "Baby brain" like my wife does?

Really looking forward to making some of these to go on the doorknobs of friends.

Oh yes you can claim baby brain! My hubby got all the pregnancy symptoms when I was carrying.
                Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Now this thread makes me S M I L E!!!
                  ~Kathy~

Comment

So I made one. Not from a layer cake but from yardage. I started cutting the squares, got about halfway through, and realized that to make one of these you only need 2-3 triangles and the tutorial is for 4 complete hanging things.

Mine turned out okay but not nearly as crisp as theirs. I'm thinking maybe what I need is a real layer cake or at least some unwashed yardage to try again. I love the idea, just need to perfect my technique.
                    Last edited by HandsomeRyan; December 9, 2013, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking if you use a thin interfacing they would have more body/hold there shape better.
                      Wendy
                      http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

This looks so cute. I'm going to have to try it. I don't see how it's going to fold into a cone either, guess I have baby brain too
                        - Phyllis :)

Comment

I agree on trying interfacing, maybe the fusible type. It's a really cute project!
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                          X