Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to now sandwich my quilt but I cannot get down on the floor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LorraineRob
    replied
    Re: I need to now sandwich my quilt but I cannot get down on the floor.

Try this. She shows you how to do it on a small table. I've just done a double bed quilt using this and I can't tell you how easy it was.

How to Sandwich a Large Quilt on a Small Table - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• athomenow
    replied

I have a huge piece of MDF and two saw horses. Lots of space to lay out quilts. I have a JoAnn's table with an ironing cover and the large mat that fits it so I can trim or iron the quilt tops. Of course I work in my basement so space isn't an issue and I never need to take them down. I understand smaller spaces and the need for something portable. Saw horses fold up and MDF sits against the wall.

Leave a comment:

• JudyWorley
    replied

Sharon Shambler has a video ...maybe on youtube showing how to use a 2x4 to wrap/unwrap batting and backing as you baste the 3 together. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• EmmaB
    replied

Originally posted by CherylR View Post
    Thanks Katie, I will have to try that method.
    I used this method for my first quilt and it worked very nicely. I basted with the stitching she demonstrated.

Leave a comment:

• Annav
    replied

Do you have a LQS nearby? They usually have large tables available and you can schedule a time to go when they aren't teaching a class and use their table to layout and baste your quilt. They might even help you with it.

Leave a comment:

• carolyn125
    replied

There's a video titled " how to sandwich a quilt on a small table" which works really well

Leave a comment:

• MartinaG
    replied

I put an old sheet on the bed and sandwich my quilts on it using 505 basting spray. Works like a charm.

Leave a comment:

• Iris Girl
    replied

I used to use my bed, but hubby bought me a folding table and I do them in sections on that. The hanging over is great as it keeps the wrinkles out of the back.

Leave a comment:

• marsharini
    replied

I just read through all the great suggestions and since I am currently getting PT for my knee I don't want to be crawling around on the floor just yet. I made a design wall out of insulation board and flannel, but the back is available for me to lay on the bed to put my quilt layers together.

Thanks to all for the great ideas!

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

I use my fam. rm. floor, which is carpeted. I lay down & smooth out the backing first & pin it to the carpet with straight quilting pins placed vertically. Then I lay down the batting & the quilt top. I use the quilting safety pins to sandwich it. I usually have only 2 or 3 pins that have to be adjusted b/c I caught the carpeting. This is what works best for me. Of course, you have to crawl around on the floor, but a pillow helps out the knees. JCY

Leave a comment:

• coffeebreak
    replied

I can't do the floor either. My kitchen table is 54x54 square and is the bar height...like bar stools but they are chairs with higher legs than a chair. IF the quilt is bigger than that, I just start in the middle and work to one side, then push it over and work the other side. You could do this with a 5/6 foot banquet table if your kitchen table isn't big enough and set it up when you need it.

I recently sandwiched a quilt..and to protect my table top when I cut things out, I had bought one of those cardboard cutting mattes....that are folded accordian stlye and you unfold it to use it. I found that was really helpful for a few more inches on the sides and also, I put that on a table cloth, and it was so easy so move the quilt around...without moving the quilt.

Leave a comment:

• New York Sue
    replied

Wow! Thanks for sharing the 'Sharon' video!
    When she pulled out the piece if wood, I almost stopped the video, but am glad I stuck with it. This method really gives an amazing amount of control. I'm not QUITE going to give up on spray basting, yet! But I think I can incorporate this method into my spray basting practice.
    GREAT share!

Leave a comment:

• Mimis-quilts
    replied

I do mine on a Ping-Pong table.

Leave a comment:

• Angelia
    replied

I have had one of these for years. You can't use your rotary cutter on it, but I always use it for garment making and for layering quilts--protects your surface, and if you use the bed, it keeps you from pinning to the bedclothes. Simple cardboard available at any sewing store. I recently replaced the one I'd had for over thirty years with a new one from Hancock Fabric.

Cutting Surface.JPG

Leave a comment:

• Susan M
    replied

Originally posted by ncredbird View Post
    I just watched the video on using a kitchen table to pin the quilt in sections. If I had an old table that might work but the one we have has been handed down for 3 generations and I'm not about to start getting scratches on it from sticking safety pins through the top of the quilt. Ann in Tn
    If you worry about the scratches try placing your large rotary cutting mat under the quilting sandwich.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X