I need some help, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some help, please.

I have a Girlie Girl Jelly Roll that I plan to make a jelly stars quilt from. I decided that I would use the Aqua Clouds fabric from the same line as the background for my stars. I have ordered 2 yards of this fabric. I am going to use 36 strips from the jelly roll for the stars. Do you ladies think that 2 yards of the clouds will be enough? I will be cutting 4-41/2" squares and 8-3" strips for each star block. I did modify Jenny's measurements from the tutorial to add an extra 1/4" to the background pieces, so that my points are not lost when I join my squares together. I made a test square, and really am pleased with the way it turned out. But, I am giving myself a headache trying to figure this yardage out. Please help!

Re: I need some help, please.

I want to join one of the Quilt Classes on line but can't find it. Can someone help me and tell me where I go to sign up for the quilting
    class they are offering. I think it has 4 or 5 sessions.
    Thanks,

Comment

Hi there enJOY.....you can find Jenny's courses here......

http://www.sympoz.com/class/catalog.html

Hope this helps
      :icon_happy:Wicked

My husband lets me buy all the fabric I can hide :icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Wantaquilt View Post
        I have a Girlie Girl Jelly Roll that I plan to make a jelly stars quilt from. I decided that I would use the Aqua Clouds fabric from the same line as the background for my stars. I have ordered 2 yards of this fabric. I am going to use 36 strips from the jelly roll for the stars. Do you ladies think that 2 yards of the clouds will be enough? I will be cutting 4-41/2" squares and 8-3" strips for each star block. I did modify Jenny's measurements from the tutorial to add an extra 1/4" to the background pieces, so that my points are not lost when I join my squares together. I made a test square, and really am pleased with the way it turned out. But, I am giving myself a headache trying to figure this yardage out. Please help!
        Depending upon the size quilt you want to make . . . that will determine how many blocks you need. If you cut 2.5" strips you can get 14 strips out of a yard of fabric (if the fabric is squared up). Conservatively, on a 42 inch wide fabric, you could get 14 three inch strips from each of the above 14 strips - or 196 pieces - enough for 24 blocks. From a yard of fabric you could cut 8 4 1/2 inch strips for your squares - and could get 9 squares from each strip - a total of 72 squares or enough for 18 blocks.

It boils down to how many blocks you need to complete the quilt of the size you want . . .
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Thank you Sandy. Sounds like, if I want to use all 36 strips for blocks, I need more of the background fabric. Even if I were to just do 24 blocks, I will still need more. Ugh. I am trying to make this as a keepsake for my daughter. I just love this block and really want to start it, but I am trying to make sure I do it right, so will wait until I get everything I need to finish it. Thanks so much for helping.
          Vicki

Comment

Originally posted by Wantaquilt View Post
            Thank you Sandy. Sounds like, if I want to use all 36 strips for blocks, I need more of the background fabric. Even if I were to just do 24 blocks, I will still need more. Ugh. I am trying to make this as a keepsake for my daughter. I just love this block and really want to start it, but I am trying to make sure I do it right, so will wait until I get everything I need to finish it. Thanks so much for helping.
            Vicki
            The good news is that MSQC mails orders very quickly!! You should have your order fast and then can complete that fabulous quilt without much delay!

Comment

I'm going to be making a quilt from the jellystars too using a Kona solid jelly roll with black background fabric, and I've been a little worried about chopping the end of the star points off when joining the blocks together. Can you tell us more about your revised measurements? Thanks
              Sandra
              Swansea, UK

Comment

I just added 1/2" to the background measurements. Instead of 4" blocks, I made mine 4 1/2". I made my smaller squares 3", instead of 2 1/2". It does make the overall finished block a little bit bigger, but that is fine with me. Be sure when you sew your pieces to the star strips that you keep that 45 degree angle. I ended up laying my pieces at a right angle to each other(like when mitering a corner). That way it was easier to see the "line" to sew on. You should have a little bit of the background fabric hanging over the edge of the star strip. Then when you press them out, the extra should be there. Try it on some scraps before you start, that is what I was doing.

Comment

Working...
                X