Scraps or Trash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scraps or Trash

How big does a left over piece of fabric have to be before it becomes a scrap? I don't know what is a useful size to keep. At the moment I'm throwing away anything that's smaller than about a fat quarter size but I think maybe I should keep some other bits, particularly left over border strips.
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Re: Scraps or Trash

Holy cow! You are kidding! Anything less than a fat quarter?!?!?!?! I have a bin that holds the cut off corners and bits of things that may be 2" long! There are many other blocks you can make with small bits that work as high-light fabrics. I'll post a few links once I go back and dig them up and get permission. This is a quilt that I made of corners I cut off blocks from another wedding gift quilt. As I was stacking them up, I couldn't bear to throw them away. I also save the leftover pieces from making my daughter's clothes. I spent good money for that fabric and I intend to use as much of it as I can. I know there are people who "crumb quilt", and use up any piece that is sewable. That is a bit beyond me, but I have even started saving my selvedges, either to give away or to do some whacky project when I finally have enough to do something fun and have the time.
    [attachment=0:1zrmezfj]IMG_5156.JPG[/attachment:1zrmezfj]
    I have this sewn together and the setting triangles done. I still have to add a border and a backing, then decide how to quilt it. Now that I see this, I would have kicked myself for throwing away this much fabric. Especially since they were already cut down, and I just had to sew them together! I did learn a valuable lesson here. I need to pay more attention to lopping off the excess corners if I want to use them again someplace else! Squared up pieces sew together so much easier!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Excuse me while I cry for the loss of fabric.......

**excessive sobbing**

okay...now that I have that out of my system....KEEP YOUR SCRAPS!!!! the only things I throw away are so small that they can never be used for anything but stuffing.
      Michele

Comment

still on the fence.....i HATE waste....but I HATE clutter more. Heck, as long as it's organized who cares!! I do have issues though, buying and not using it.....because I am sure i can't 'do it justice'. Ha, know what I mean!?!?!

It's a preference thing for sure....

Oh, I don't know....KEEP IT ALL! ops: Can you tell I am a recovering (trying to recover) fabric addict? (heck, fabric, craft, scrap booking)

Comment

Aha you've come across the problem - pokey English houses don't have much space to store fabric scraps and the way I'm going it's going to build up quite quickly. I like the idea of a scrap bin though. I think we have one free storage box, maybe I can throw them all in there!

Comment

You'll all be happy to hear that I cut out the borders and binding for the quilt I'm just finishing and the strips to make up my next project and I have kept every little last scrap left over (except the selvedges - I just can't see myself ever using those).

My mum is going to hate me when I start to quickly fill up the place with scraps but I'm sure I'll start to use them up as fast as I collect them.

Comment

You said that you might have a bin that you could put scraps in. Once the bin fills up, then you HAVE to make a project to empty it! That is simple enough right? If I had only started that way....

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine
                You said that you might have a bin that you could put scraps in. Once the bin fills up, then you HAVE to make a project to empty it! That is simple enough right? If I had only started that way....

That is a perfect idea!! I use a gallon Ziplock bag....once it got full I started cutting hexagons and doing english paper piecing with them. The hexies take up a lot less space than the scraps and I will use them to make a memory quilt of sorts...from leftovers of all the other projects I've made this year....
                Michele

Comment

Originally posted by sewhot
                  still on the fence.....i HATE waste....but I HATE clutter more. Heck, as long as it's organized who cares!! I do have issues though, buying and not using it.....because I am sure i can't 'do it justice'. Ha, know what I mean!?!?!
                  Yes I totally know what you mean... I have a Fig and Plum layer cake that I'm so nervous about using because if I mess it up, that's it, it's gone FOREVER! I LOVE Fig and Plum so maybe after a make a few dozen 'perfect' quilts I'll attempt my fig and plum quilt

Comment

Rosie,
                    It is all well and good that you want to hang onto your fig & plum fabric. Just remember to find some yardage to go with it now and stick it in with the layer cake. I have had that problem with some of the fabric I have "saved", the colors change over the years and matching them can get quite difficult, unless you go with white, beige, black, or something plain. I just though I would pass that little tidbit on to you.

Comment

I was told many different sizes of scraps that are saved by people. The smallest I heard of is 1.5 by 1.5 inch squares. They would still make an inch finished. I have saved some strips even smaller then an inch wide already. I use them as "ties" or "ribbons" on rustic looking craft products.

Really it is a personal preference. Seriously though, you make me want to cry :cry: over what you threw out! :shock: I would never throw out a piece that large! My family reuses and recycles everything. If we can't reuse something, we try to find someone else that will. We even save our empty egg cartons and give them to a family that farms chicken. They reuse them and it saves them from buying them. Paper is used on both sides (shopping lists, phone messages, kid's art, etc....) before it is thrown away too. The more money I save on paper, the more money I have for fabric, sweet, beautiful fabric. If you seriously do not have room for scraps, then donate them. Our thrift stores always have what they label as remnant bags for sale.

I like to keep my scraps all together, but sorted by color. It makes it easier on me later. When I get too many of one color, I plan a quilt top that uses alot of that color. I never seem to have too many blues or pinks. These get turned into baby quilts almost right away. I do tend to let the other colors pile up a little too much. ops:
                      My user name is FunkiQuilter, but you can call me Funki for short. (Pronounced Funky.) I inherited the name from my cousin because of my love for unusual things.

Comment

Here is Washington State, USA, we use everything including the selvages. There is a book on quilting with selvages, and this website has a tutorial on using them. http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com/20 ... utorial/It makes me cry (sob) that you threw away your precious fabric. Here in the states we actually sell fat quarters, for money, no kidding! tee hee. Seriously though, look for a book on sewing with fat quarters. Karen Snyder has a good on called' Fat Quarter Fun'. Some fast and fun quilts in there. Wishing you many happy quilts.

Comment

Just remember to find some yardage to go with it now and stick it in with the layer cake.
                          What a great suggestion. I'm learning tons from all you gals.
                          There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Here's what I did with what some would throw away. These are 'waste triangles' from another quilt I'm working on. I couldn't bear to throw all those little 1/2 square triangles away when I saw how they were piling up so I sewed them together. This one is 11 inches square - I've got a bunch more of them accumulating and want to make a larger one for my doll I've had for nearly 50 years.
                            http://mudpotter.blogspot.com/

Comment

snakes alive I have three 18 gallon totes with just that scraps from everything I can't bear to throw them away.. Wendi

Comment

Working...
                              X